My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an X495 that I'm using to cut a few rough acres of land around my barn. I use my 4600 with a bush hog to cut the big fields, but I like having a smaller tractor with a belly mower for the land around the barn with the well, poles, etc. to mow around.

I'm getting beat to death on the X495 which is really a riding mower I even added the deluxe suspension seat, but still getting beat to death.

Have my eye on a nice 855 with a belly mower.

Will the 855 with the longer wheel base, bigger rear tires and greater weight be a significantly better ride on rough land than an X495 riding mower with a deluxe suspension seat?

Thanks for your input.

Mad Dog

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
I kind of doubt that the 855 will ride any better but it will take a larger deck and so your bodies beating on it will not be as long. I know that my pasture is rough and I use my 2305 and MMM on it and I am not as beat up as bad as when I did the pasture with my L-120.

I still get bounced around on the 2305 once in a while but no where as long and hard as the L-120

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of doubt that the 855 will ride any better but it will take a larger deck and so your bodies beating on it will not be as long. I know that my pasture is rough and I use my 2305 and MMM on it and I am not as beat up as bad as when I did the pasture with my L-120.

I still get bounced around on the 2305 once in a while but no where as long and hard as the L-120

Thanks. Actually the X495 has a pretty good deck on it...62 inches. Not sure if you're familiar with the 855's, but they stopped making them back in 1998. They're a good sized compact tractor and weigh 1,890 lbs. That's about twice the weight of an X495 and about 500 lbs more than a 2305.

Does anyone have some good insights on the older 855's?

Many thanks.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
I currently have an X495 that I'm using to cut a few rough acres of land around my barn. I use my 4600 with a bush hog to cut the big fields, but I like having a smaller tractor with a belly mower for the land around the barn with the well, poles, etc. to mow around.

I'm getting beat to death on the X495 which is really a riding mower I even added the deluxe suspension seat, but still getting beat to death.

Have my eye on a nice 855 with a belly mower.

Will the 855 with the longer wheel base, bigger rear tires and greater weight be a significantly better ride on rough land than an X495 riding mower with a deluxe suspension seat?

Thanks for your input.

Mad Dog
Well...I have been pinned UP against my seat belt when I hit some bumps raking a hay field with my 855...:(
I can tell you, for sure, that the seat suspension is NOT an air ride...:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's not a very smooth riding tractor. I have places I take it fairly slow so it doesn't beat me around too bad. I run the minimum air pressure in the rears when mowing. Seems to help quite a bit. I think it would be smoother than what you have now though. If you had a good seat on the 855 it would help a lot. They have a suspension seat on them, but they aren't that great.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
The back 2 acres of our yard is old pasture that we have been finish mowing for 3 years now. I have used a neighbor's 3500lb (full of water) roller, its huge, and it is still rough, bumpy. I am using our 2320 to cut it and it beats us up terrible. I have lowered the tire pressure in our turfs, but to no avail. I am actually having an x720 brought out this week to see how it compares. The yard isn't an ankle breaker to walk on, we are even thinking of putting a soccer field out there for the kids and their friends. I am thinking with the better seat and lower center of gravity, the ride should be improved on the x720 or x720se.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
The ride of my slightly larger, older cousin of the 855 rides a bit rough on rough ground, but it isn't too bad if you keep the ground speed down. Of course, the 950 is a bit heavier too.

As was said, the seat suspension is there, but not an air ride by any means. Mine is adjustable, but I don't know about the 855's, but I couldn't imagine that it wouldn't be.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
MadDog.. just what kinda land are you talking bout??? Lots of little bumps in a row? four inch bumps that are 6 inches long or 4 inch bumps that are 2 feet long? some bumps will always be rough on a tractor...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 3 acres of old cow pasture that we built our house on and it was never smoothed out properly when the house was finished. My first mower was a Craftsman GT5000 with a 50" deck and I took a beating on that thing, took at least 3 hours to mow all 3 acres. Then I found a nice 855 with a 72" belly mower, its still not a smooth ride by any means but it cut my mowing time in half. Now that I have the 855 I am finally getting around to leveling and grading out the rough stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts