My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if any are the major differences between thes two tractors? I have an 853 and there is an auction coming up that has an 850 in it that will be sold. I would like to have all my ducks in a row before going there.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have both. Paint seems to be the biggest difference. Both are briggs powered now, but some 850's had wisconsins. My 850 had a transplant but PO said it was a briggs to briggs swap. Both are 3 speed with hi/lo belt. seat style depends on year.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The 850's all had Wisconsin S-8D's while the 853's had 8HP Briggs engines.
3 Speed trans was in both but the 853 did not have the locking differential.
The only other difference would be its color appearance.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the 853 does not have the locking differ , what is that pin that locks both wheels together for?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The way I see it when the pin is in it has differ lock and out it does not.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That is one way to do it, if you keep the knob on the side screwed in. Normally, to control the differential, you leave the pin in and turn the knob. In the 853, you can use the pin to either engage drive or freewheel. You are unable to control the diff without the knob.

Jaosn

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have seen 2 850's with what appears to be the original briggs power plant. Not sure if it was optional to have a wisconsin or briggs, maybe someone can shed more light on the subject.

Deerlope, the pin is not the diff lock. Gear drive tubers have a worm gear final drive, not a bull gear/pinion like most other brands. Since you cannot typically over-run a worm gear with the driven gear, Bolens provided the pin to allow the differential on the right side to spin backwards when pulled out. Differential lock is located on the left rear hub area, same as on 1050, 1253, 1254 etc. It locks the pinion to make a temporary possi-trac.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have seen 2 850's with what appears to be the original briggs power plant. Not sure if it was optional to have a wisconsin or briggs, maybe someone can shed more light on the subject.
Deerlope, the pin is not the diff lock. Gear drive tubers have a worm gear final drive, not a bull gear/pinion like most other brands. Since you cannot typically over-run a worm gear with the driven gear, Bolens provided the pin to allow the differential on the right side to spin backwards when pulled out. Differential lock is located on the left rear hub area, same as on 1050, 1253, 1254 etc. It locks the pinion to make a temporary possi-trac.
The 850 never had the option of different motors.It only came with the wisconsin from the factory.

The pin is only for free wheelin.It has no other use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts