My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remember, I picked up an 8481 at a garage sale earlier this year for $5.00. One of the machining plugs had fallen out and it sucked some nasty stuff in and damaged the piston and basically put it out of commission. I had torn it all down and finally got around to ordering parts that I thought I needed to get him going again.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=81766&highlight=8481

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=82418&highlight=8481

I honed the cylinder and cleaned things up. I put a new piston/rings/pin in. All the other bearings/parts looked real good. The blade was kind of questionable, but I sharpened it up and it seemed to balance out OK.

Well, the moment of truth. I put some gas in, turned the fuel on, waited a couple of seconds, and pulled. Nothing. Pulled a second time, and he fired right up! Seemed to run great. I had to do some lubing/adjusting on the self-propelled to get it to work right, but seems to be working properly.

Couple of things, it makes a bit of a noise like the recoil is vibrating a bit against the cup, like if you pull the starting rope out a bit when it's running, it has that tinging sound. I might pull it out of the shed a bit later and see what I can figure out. It also seems to have just a very small vibration when running. Not extremely bad, but I may change the blade to one I have that I took off another mower and see if that helps. Once I get it running properly, I'll mower than likely put it up for sale. Too many mowers in the shed right now. Just ask my wife!

All things considered, this does seem to be a bit of an awkward mower to use for an area that you have to trim quite a bit. Plus, it doesn't discharge so it leaves a bit of a trail of clippings. If I was to bag, it would probably do fine, but with the thick grass we have right now I would have to empty the catcher every 10 minutes or so.

Anyone else use theirs regularly, and what do you think about the design?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have one and admit, the handle is strange. I have a baga nd it does fine. I like it because I have a lot of low trees that it gets around, it's also got a good gurgle from the carb, i like it.

I need a belt, other than that my propel is excellent and the mower does the whole lawn without filling up......which I like.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
They make a mulch plug and a rear side discharge chute for that model. Are you using either? If not, that would explain the clumping somewhat. My 6211 does not leave clumps when I use the mulch plug.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I've only rear side discharged with my 6211 and it worked good. 8480 I haven't mowed with yet, and I don't even know if I will... it is too clean.

I did just score a mulch plate on ebay for the 6211. I'm happy about that.

Brad, put a bag or rear chute on it and it'll probably look great. Also post some pictures of that thing all cleaned up.

-Bob

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nice work GB ...good to see a fellow grease monkey being a grease monkey

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have the 8480 and it is a mower that is best used for wide open spaces. It is awkward to try to use it in tight spaces but in the open they work wonderfully. Mine has the chute my dad bought for it and it discharges well. I had 2 of these but I gave the other one to a neighbor who just loves it to death. Mine wasnt really used much through its life so it is pretty good yet. All people have to remember with these is that you have to grease the transmission and 4 wheels regularily and it will work fine. I never had transmission troubles out of either one. And my question for all of you is this?

What is really the difference between a 8480 and a 8481? I see the parts on my 8480 that are dark green are black on the 8481. Is this the only difference or is there actually a functional difference?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Glad to hear that you got that mower going Brad. Good thing it was only the piston and rings. I hate the feeling when you take apart an engine and put it back together and it doesnt start..........

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I think that the 8481 had the title "industrial" and the 8480 was a suburban. I don't know any other differences aside from colors like you mentioned.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Probably not. Like I said, they are solid machines, nothing cheap about them. Good if you have a larger yard with not many things in the way. These things lets all remember were designed first and foremost to bag. And they do it very well. They will mulch and with the chute attachment discharge but they werent really designed for that. They should be if everything is right one of the smoothest running machines there are. I think the handle was designed that way to help protect the bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts