My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think i ran smack into my winter project! Was using tiller for some lite late season tilling & it started making some grinding noise when the pto was engaged...

Are there any easy things to check up front to that could cause such a bad noise? What are the possiblities that it could be? It sounds serious w/ my luck as things go!

All help is much appreciated...I love this thing & and had never had a problem w/ it.

Thanks all !

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Since you have a PTO Horse, when was the last time you checked the two bolts that hold the tine assembly onto the transmission of the tiller? Those can back out and cause an incomplete meshing of the drive line, make some horrible noises and causing some damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would guess the noise is comin from the tranny area. I also noticed it whenever trying to put it in reverse earlier in the day. It eventually started doing it when I was trying to till.

Again...any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Assuming all fluids are good, pull the PTO lever out & look for any damage, i've had to replace mine twice.

Ronnie

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
The only thing that is actuated when the PTO is engaged but not the self propelled is the rear shaft. Could be the front or rear shaft bearing, or either of the tineshaft bearings, or the bronze gear on the tine shaft.

Grab the tines and see if you can rock them any>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts