My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 4211 this weekend knowing it was stalling regularly. The seller said there might be water in the gas so we tried some dry gas and that seemed to clear up the issue for about 10 minutes, then it stalled again. So we drained the gas tank completely and filled it up with new gas. Again, the mower ran fine for a few minutes and stalled again. Situation is worse when the mower is engaged.

I'm focused on the carb now. And from what I've read, and from what I've been told, the float might be stuck. Thoughts? Can anyone recommend a site where I can buy a carb rebuild kit for this model?

Also, I can probably find this in the online manual, but does anyone know the best spark plug to use with this tractor?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
1st off welcome to the site. Try taking the bottom off the carb and cleaning all the crud out. If that doesn`t work you will have to remove carb and clean and inspect it. If you buy a carb kit , the float wont come with it you have to purchase it separately, Parts are easy, Outdoor distributors, jacks small engines , also try this sites sponsors, most sites have parts lookup , you will need the engine model#, code# & Type#

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, Jeff. This is good info. I'm hoping to take a crack at it in the next few days and will post the results.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
If its stalling, it should not need a float. A bad float will leave fuel running and flood it, not starve it.

Check fuel lines and try the #1 trick seen here at the forum: check gas cap vent.

Is it a I-am-starved-for-fuel stall or a pop-bang-whizz stall?

Wouldn't hurt to change the spark plug. Sometimes internal cracks expand under the heat of running and cause shorting/failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought the mower, the previous owner didn't even have a gas cap which is why he thought there was water in the gas tank. I could try running it without the gas cap just to check though. Thanks.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
Lemme know how you make out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice, guys. We cleaned out the carb which showed some corrosion (water in the gas?) and tweaked the main carb jet. I also replaced the float since I'd already bought one and installed a new spark plug. Seems to be running well. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts