My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used it just a few days ago, my 8239 daily driver, so to speak. No problems then. But when I went to use it this afternoon, the blade was completely loose. The moment I started it, it made a horrible sound. The nut was completely loose. Infact, I turned the nut off easily by hand, sharpened the blade while I was at it, and reinstalled.

This ever happen to anyone else? I never personally had this blade off, but it is clearly a near-new blade.

UGH!
Coop

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Are you married? :hide:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you married? :hide:
No, but it's funny you should ask. Since the last time I used it (or the last time I used it) I was in the shed and forgot to lock it. When I locked it the following afternoon, the gas cap was sitting loose (don't remember havint it off). But nothing else was disturbed.

but there is this...http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=138352&highlight=satisfaction

you don't think...? There was no sign that the nut was recently touched.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
ive found the nut loose on my 8310,but a new nut took care of that!

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
The case of the mower fantom? Strange stuff there dude.... I hope you get to the bottom of it (no pun intended):fing32:

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
I used it just a few days ago, my 8239 daily driver, so to speak. No problems then. But when I went to use it this afternoon, the blade was completely loose. The moment I started it, it made a horrible sound. The nut was completely loose. Infact, I turned the nut off easily by hand, sharpened the blade while I was at it, and reinstalled.

This ever happen to anyone else? I never personally had this blade off, but it is clearly a near-new blade.

UGH!
Coop
Yes, I've had it happen.
Tightened the nut back up and go on.
And they don't start as well with out the blade tight. But they will start.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
On this subject, how many have ever used the hard fiber washers that Lawn Boy used to recommend you use with replacement blades.
Dave

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WDF!!? Now the pull cord done come out!!

·
2 strokes forever!
471 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 10550 with the nut loosening up after tightening. I may try a flat or split washer under the nut. I also tried a new Grade 8 nut but it loosened too. I do not have an air impact socket wrench and tighten by 5/8" wrench manually, striking it with a rubber mallet after tightening.

Please tell more about the fiber washer? A washer with bendable tangs to clamp around the nut edge surface might work too?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of the original nuts have a small nylon insert which forms threads when installing the first time and others are pinched (?) acting as a locking nut. I guess they're supposed to be replaced, not reused.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Correct, LB recommended replacing the blade nut after 4 times removing and installing. They are a friction lock nut (for lack of the proper term) and loose their "grip" after a few times. Frankly I've NEVER replaced a blade bolt or nut unless the threads or outside were gettig trashed. I always use an impact wrench (air) on the LOWEST setting. Really not tighter than I can do by hand but it's a LOT faster and I don't have to worry about that hand slip and slicing myself open! I have a number of commercial mowers and have been changing blades every couple days for years... Never had one come loose on its own! If I hit something, that's another matter, but then hitting something should make it tighten the nut, not loosen it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts