My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

8237 Poll

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Restore
2. Part out
3. Sell
4. Other (post below)

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here hold on pictures on the way

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,405 Posts
Hey capstan! Great video of some mowing action. Now for the questions. Is the mower still in the same condition and running now as in the video? If so, why would you want to part it out? If not running, what's wrong with it? Kind of hard to vote without the additional info. Thanks, Bill

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it has been decided, RESTORE!

parts are coming from "corncob"

Kori

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I was only kidding........I wouldn't part it out, and I never said I wanted anyone to just give me stuff.
Yea, I know I'm just messing with you.

:thThumbsU Kori

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I say restore it as well, looks like a really easy restore, fresh paint, decals, fuel lines (add a filter) maybe new wheels and capstan rollers, polish up the handle, and upper and lower oil seals. Oh and repack the gear box with grease. With it running that good I don't see much of a reason to tear the engine down. A compression test would tell more about how worn the engine is, but honestly if it fires in a couple pulls when cold there's probably nothing wrong internally.

I have 2 of them, one I bought already restored and another I picked up locally that I planned to restore cosmetically and sell. The compression on the 2nd one is excellent, just needs basically what I listed above.

Hardest part to these capstan drive models is the rear wheels. The original wheels were a softer material that ones used on the push models to allow the drive rollers to "bite" better. I've tried other wheels and they just don't work as well. I've bought NOS wheels off of Ebay as well but they still aren't as soft and pliable as the originals.

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,405 Posts
Hi all! I agree with LawnboyKs regarding the rubber compound used on the rear wheels of the capstan drive mowers. I was in the roofing supply business for almost 20 years and we had EPDM roofing supplies for rubber flat roofs. Some were called cured and the others were uncured. The cured material could be stretched and would snap back to it's original shape but the uncured you could stretch and form around corners for flashing. The problem however was that eventually the uncured becomes cured as it only has a certain length of shelf life. Such is the problem with new old stock self propelled wheels. If they have been sitting for a couple of years on a shelf the rubber compound which was originally soft will now have cured to a harder compound and will be less likely to provide the best grip on the capstan rollers. Just thought I would share this information with everyone. Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts