My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Turf consultant
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still digging into my three 8237s. This one my father bought new and I used it to cut lawns in my neighborhood through middle and high school. For the past 20 years it hasn't been used much, although storing it didn't look like it was too kind to it. The shroud over the air vane was cracked and the bracket that holds the coil in place broke, smashing and mangling the coil against the flywheel.

I gave this a once over and got it running. It has always been hard to start and still takes a bunch of pulls, but once I got it going, it has a terrible vibration. So bad that I can't see the slot on the adjustment screw on the carb and so bad that it rattled off the air filter cover (which I proceeded to mow over). The blade balances well and I don't see any deflection in the bade relative to the deck, suggesting the crank is ok.

The block seems to be secured well to the mounting plate and I'll check the other connections. My only other thoughts is the connection to the drive or something internal to the short block. Any thoughts?

·
5,541 Posts
I have fixed those broken flywheel covers in the past by first super gluing back together and then I drill small opposing holes on each side of the crack and stitch it up using some auto steering wheel lacing cord, like used on a Wheelskins wheel cover. Pretty much unbreakable nylon type waxed line. Then another coat of super glue or I suppose you could put a coat of JB Weld over the crack and stitching. Has held up for well over 5 years now with no issues.
As far as the vibration goes have you tried orienting the blade? I had a 5247 that shook so bad it made my hands numb. The blade on an F series is oriented parallel to the piston when the piston is a top dead center. This got rid of 90 to 95 percent of the vibration. Good luck! Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,943 Posts
My guess on the cause of the vibration would be that either the flywheel or upper crank got damaged/bent during the event that caused the coil mounting bracket to break. I would think the flywheel would be more likely the culprit since the metal is fairly soft and weak compared to the crank. If it broke the coil mounting then it was a pretty significant incident, certainly capable of damaging the flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Turf consultant
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a good look a the flywheel and didn't any obvious damage. The blade mount was 45 degrees off the cylinder orientation, so truing that up seemed to help a bunch.

It's running a lot better and other than fixing a few small nagging problems, it should be in good shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts