My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Geoff,
I stand corrected, yes it is allen head not philips. Here is page on specs that may help you.
I also looked at the specs for con rod screws but don't have for new style here at home. You can interchange most parts from C to D400 to D600 if they fit the application with the exception of cylinder. D600 cylinder will not work on earlier models because it is higher compression and runs hotter. D600 engines have larger cooling fins on flywheel to move more air and cool more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thanks for that sheet Bill. That’s a very good piece of information to hold on to

I’ve got the motor all back together now. One thing I did come across was that I had to change the reed plate on the carb as the one that was on it originally stuck in too far and the end of the new d series rod was hitting it when rotating. I swapped it for a d series plate and now fits perfect.
Couple of pics now that it’s all cleaned up and reassembled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
That's going to be a sweet mower bro

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Looking good. Glad to see you have put two of the dogs in the recoil starter plate. It seem to make them start even better to get even pull on both sides of recoil pulley. These C series engines will start with a slow even pull of the rope.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Trying to figure out how the self propelled stuff goes back together on the motor as i didn't see how it was taken apart originally. I'm trying to figure out what specific parts these are.

Number 26, 27, and 72. I've got a wide felt bushing, a skinny one and i'm not sure which one goes where an i have no idea what part# 26 is.
Here’s the parts I have

Attachments

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Hello Geoff
that is a sub base bearing you have 603614 and number 26 is a spacer washer felt seal retainer 603333
number 27 seal -sub -base felt 603114 number 72 seal sub base seal 602960 these part numbers
come from my lawn-boy parts manual for 1962 8220 hope this helps you out your lawn-boy friend Scott
p.s the seal goes in your sub base first then bearing then upper seal if you need more please ask

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Slowly but surely

·
5,248 Posts
Man that is looking sooooo good. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Looking good brother

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks guys. Work and life get in the way so my hobby time takes a hit

RFWI. It’s key lime green

Cheers
Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Working on getting this thing back together and Because I bought the mower completely disassembled I’ve got a few parts sitting here that I’m not quite sure where they are supposed to go. I’ve been looking at the drawings online but have struggled finding these items on the drawings. Hoping maybe someone on here might be able to assist

·
Registered
126 Posts
The spring looks like the ones used to apply tension to the rear wheel height adjuster. They hook into the height adjuster below the deck to keep the adjuster in position once you have selected the desired height. The other end hooks into the cross-piece/axle/spacer between the wheels.
The other two pieces resemble parts to the governor assembly on my D-448 engine.

·
5,248 Posts
Maybe he just threw in those parts extra to mess with you!! The spring looks similar to #99 in the part drawing. Part number 603003. Not sure about the other two. Old style bushing and washer for the drive system? Numbers 32 and 33. Part numbers 603037 and 681904 although the bushing is strange. Appears to have a flat spot for anti rotation inside. Hope you can get this figured out. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the input guys
Both springs you each mentioned I’ve already got installed. This one is a mystery. I’ve yet to get the top of the handle reassembled. I wonder if it might go there somewhere even though I don’t see a spring in that part of the diagram
The washer is too large for the drive system and I’ve already got it all back together properly
Bill. You could be right maybe he just threw anything and everything into the box he gave me
That bushing is weird. I thought maybe it was some sort of adapter for the end of blade shaft but it’s too small.
I’m scratching my head on these. Hoping you’re right and they’re not even part of the mower

·
Registered
2 Posts
This came home with me yesterday in pieces but everything is there. PO had plans to restore but lost interest and I was able to pick it up for a very good price. I’m going to pick up where he left off. It’s actually good that it’s already disassembled as now I don’t have to do it. I’m going to start with rebuilding the motor then move to the body. I think this may be the first mower I will consider getting powder coated.
The jug is extremely clean but the piston is scored very badly on the one end. Considering I don’t have any NOS C series pistons, I’m wondering if I could swap in a new d series piston and rod assembly as I have 2 or 3 NOS of these assemblies on my parts shelf. Can someone confirm if this is easily doable as I haven’t attempted one of these conversions before.
Here’s some pics of the mower as I started unpacking it

I’m pretty excited about this one, as I really enjoy taking on projects of low production (more rare) models. Although I guess most two stroke LB’s are becoming more rare nowadays.

Geoff

Nice score Geoff, I recently "drug home" an 8021 with a couple of parts mowers. I'm going full tilt on mine too! Just curious, are the color codes out there for an accurate match for either powder coating or paint?

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts