My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8199KT (I think that's the model, as it's a long wheelbase 8000 series, and orinally had an Onan B48M, but now has a Linamar replacement 18HP).

My PTO quit working, and the engagement lever slams all the way forward when you go to engage it, but the blades on the mower deck do not turn (nor does the PTO driveshaft).

My guess is that I've lost a woodruff key, OR, the clutches are completely gone.

I also had found talk that to get the PTO shaft out to replace the clutch, you have to remove the engine.

Any ideas on what might be a simple problem, and whether pulling the engine is required to service the PTO?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Try adjusting the free travel on the PTO lever first, though if it has run for a while out-of-adjustment, the lining may be gone.

Service Manuals are currently online at gravelytractorclub.org.

Pulling the motor and opening up the transaxle is the only way to replace.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Try adjusting the free travel on the PTO lever first, though if it has run for a while out-of-adjustment, the lining may be gone.

Pulling the motor and opening up the transaxle is the only way to replace.
That and about 8 -12 hrs of work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The same thing happened to my 20g that I recently required. I adjusted the free travel to about 3/4 of an inch and it worked for awhile but it soon gave out again. I am now looking at a PTO clutch replacement. As mentioned you will need to pull the engine and split the case to get to the PTO clutch assembly.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
The same thing happened to my 20g that I recently required.
Sorry to hear that Bill. Do you have the 60" deck on something else now?

·
Registered
106 Posts
No Al I am using my 816 with a 50" deck until I can the 20g repaired. The 60" deck will have to wait until I get the longer frame tractor back up and running.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it! :sidelaugh
I have a 12-year old who is a budding cinematographer. He is always showing me the latest "must-have" camera he is lusting after. I tell him he should be cutting grass instead of looking at things he can't afford...hmmm maybe this runs in the family.

Anyway, I have a trans I'm going to tear open this summer and am thinking I'll get him to document it with me. It would be interesting to post on youtube videos of the various shafts and stuff coming out and all the pieces there are. We'd just follow the service manual I guess and film each step.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That and about 8 -12 hrs of work.
Well, first, my tractor is an 8199T (Linamar LX replacement engine).

I took the chance and did an adjustment to the PTO linkage. I wound up putting 4 full turns on the length, then re-assembled that, and it's working.

I suspect that it may not be long before the clutch lining on the PTO is gone, but for now, it's working.

I still am trying to figure out the squealing that it's making (the deck or deck drive gear housing) when engaged. It does NOT sound like a spindle bearing, but I don't know what it is. The shaft nut on the deck gear housing pulley shaft had come loose previously, and I had re-tightened that (it had worn a 1/8" deep pocket into the deckplating. I checked that again, but there appears to be clearance. I hate removing the deck, because it's a chore and heavy (54" deck on this long chassis, I think).

Anyway, thanks for the input.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
The fact that the deck is making noise likely means it is adding to the eventual demise of your PTO clutch. I wouldn't run that deck at all until that is ID'd and solved. Sorry if this is so obvious as to not be commented on, but sometimes we all overlook things. Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was thinking; whatever is causing the squealing probably is what wore the clutch to disengagement. I gotta drop the deck and try to find the cause. One other thing to note is that I had just put on a new belt (the squealing was present prior, and when replacing the belt is when I found the loose gearbox nut and I thought that was what destroyed the belt). I may have to adjust the belt tensioner due to the new belt, but COULD have a bad spindle bearing that I missed.

thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just in case you didn't know yet...
The deck is heavy for sure, but it's a "drive over" deck so at least you aren't forced to wrestle it out from under the tractor. :fing32:
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just in case you didn't know yet...
The deck is heavy for sure, but it's a "drive over" deck so at least you aren't forced to wrestle it out from under the tractor. :fing32:
Hope that helps.
Yeah; it's a drive-over, but it still is a heavy son-of-a-gun to muscle around to work on.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
If the wheels on the 72" deck are good, it is actually easier to move around than the 50" deck. Steering it is a pain but once it is going in the right direction, it is a piece of cake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts