My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Congratulations, Sooty! It looks even better in the daylight. The hood, and seat pan look so good that I have to wonder if Gravely might have already started powder coating them. That's a nice straight looking machine. The blower looks like it hasn't been used much either. I saw the mower deck lift rod peeking out from under the tractor too. Hopefully the seller will be able to find the deck's driveshaft. It should be around there somewhere. Nice pics too, BTW.

·
Gravely1964
4,055 Posts
That looks like a really clean tractor! Congrats and the boys have already warned you of G.A.S.

Before you know it you'll have atleast 2 maybe 4 maybe 84
DSC03623.JPG

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would call that a great day! Great looking machine! It Sure looks ready to blow snow right now. And besides that half a drive shaft, it looks the only thing you might need to mow are a new mower wheel or two?

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
I would call that a great day!
+1!
Great looking machine! It Sure looks ready to blow snow right now. And besides that half a drive shaft, it looks the only thing you might need to mow are a new mower wheel or two?
Yeah. The bearing on that gauge wheel has disintegrated. No big deal, it's an off the shelf item.

You'll want to replace the rubber hose on the chute control. The one on there looks a bit gnarly.

I wouldn't buy a new mower driveshaft yet. You won't need it until after the snow melts. Odds are he'll find it and you'll be all set. If you do need one, they're pretty available. Check ebay. Or RIchard's. Long shot: The front half of the two piece driveshaft which drives the front adapter is the same spline and same rectangular section. If it's not too long, you can just use that. You can't have that driveshaft on there at the same time as the mower anyway.

I don't if the lengths match. Steve?

Nothing much else jumps out at me. A few scrapes and scratches, cracked headlight lense, some worn paint on the deck. All well within bounds for a machine if this age.

All in all, a really great grab.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You're so funny. I already have two other illnesses, so my partner is familiar with living with a sicko! The past fight was over who got to use the commercial Lawn Boy model 22261 to mow, the new fight will be who gets to use this (once it's all dialed in and ready to go).
That's a good fight to have and if she is willing to mow I would not press to hard on what machine she used.
But if she starts looking at your downloaded Gravely manuals plan on a bad case of the G.A.S. she will be dragging you around to look at every piece of Gravely equipment found to do yard work with.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Oh good. I wasn't really up to searching for pricey rare parts that I don't even know what they look like. I'm a bit low on money having just bought a new house, fixing a million things, two house payments now, driving between the two, and trying to prep the old one to put on the market. It's been a crazy 2 months. I need things to settle down. And I need to research pole barns, designs, and start figuring all that out.
Go to the building section we can help you spend money there also. Ha Ha!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
W
That looks great! Congrats!

Looking forward to first reports of operating it!
Well after I got it off the trailer I couldn’t help driving it down the driveway and ended up driving down my road until I started to get worried I’d get stranded! Nice day for a ride in a convertible. Had to play with the choke to get the engine to run good

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Congratulations, Sooty! It looks even better in the daylight. The hood, and seat pan look so good that I have to wonder if Gravely might have already started powder coating them. That's a nice straight looking machine. The blower looks like it hasn't been used much either. I saw the mower deck lift rod peeking out from under the tractor too. Hopefully the seller will be able to find the deck's driveshaft. It should be around there somewhere. Nice pics too, BTW.
Thank you! Spent a pretty penny on it but honestly I was really happy when I saw it today. It doesn’t run great and I couldn’t see it well when I went to look at it, a snow storm started when I left my house and when I got to the sellers house it was dark out and snowing like mad! I just remember getting it stuck in the snow trying to go up a steep hill, the squirrly choke, no brakes, and it blowing snow like 80 feet!
I’m hoping! His nephew or cousin or someone got the tractor willed to him by the original owner, a guy who passed one day prior to his 100th birthday I found out. And I was told this tractors name is Chad because that guy’s name was Chad!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Wonder when the last time it was really expected to do any work. Drain the fuel tank, change the filter, fuel lines and dump the fuel bowl on the carb first. No reason to fix things that don't need it. Sounded like the tank needs to be cleaned anyway of gas cap ruminants. Deal with the carb only if the other fails to solve the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
+1!

Yeah. The bearing on that gauge wheel has disintegrated. No big deal, it's an off the shelf item.

You'll want to replace the rubber hose on the chute control. The one on there looks a bit gnarly.

I wouldn't buy a new mower driveshaft yet. You won't need it until after the snow melts. Odds are he'll find it and you'll be all set. If you do need one, they're pretty available. Check ebay. Or RIchard's. Long shot: The front half of the two piece driveshaft which drives the front adapter is the same spline and same rectangular section. If it's not too long, you can just use that. You can't have that driveshaft on there at the same time as the mower anyway.

I don't if the lengths match. Steve?

Nothing much else jumps out at me. A few scrapes and scratches, cracked headlight lense, some worn paint on the deck. All well within bounds for a machine if this age.

All in all, a really great grab.
Thanks! Yeah, I’ll get to that chute hose before next winter, I’ll try to find a piece of HD reinforced hose. Not sure I’m understanding what I’m seeing with the headlight lens. Looks like that cracked piece is a tiny piece of what used to be another layer that was over what you see now, like it’s made up of two layers of plastic. Just looks odd but I’ll see what it really is when I get it apart someday. Mechanicals first. Yeah, I’m not buying a shaft yet!

gauge wheel, you mean for the deck? Is that what those two wheels are called? You replace the bearing thats part of that assembly and not the entire wheel? Haven’t even looked at the deck yet!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Y
Wonder when the last time it was really expected to do any work. Drain the fuel tank, change the filter, fuel lines and dump the fuel bowl on the carb first. No reason to fix things that don't need it. Sounded like the tank needs to be cleaned anyway of gas cap ruminants. Deal with the carb only if the other fails to solve the problem.
Yep! Exactly my process. Tank cleaning, new fuel lines and filter, see how it runs, then get to the carb. The oil was super dirty so I warmed it up and drained the oil and pulled the filter. Got 2 air filters and 2 oil filters and some fittings to extend the drain and put a 90 on it with a good valve and plug just in case. I like to make oil changes easy. I’ll try to get to that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
You replace the bearing thats part of that assembly and not the entire wheel? Haven’t even looked at the deck yet!
You can find the wheels. I'm pretty sure there are wheels from other brands which will bolt on, you just need something with a 3/8" spindle. The last 50" deck I did, I didn't bother replacing the wheels, just found some bearings that would fit. I often buy bearings from vxb.com, they have a match-by-dimension thing.

No hurry, you don't need the deck for 3 months. And you've got the flock of lawn-boys . . .

101 - 113 of 113 Posts