My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Yes, the shaft hanging down was about a foot long or maybe 14 inches or so?
Sounds like you have both ends of the deck driveshaft. The female end is only about 7 inches long.

At worst, you're missing the lift rod. That's readily available, or easy to make.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love your story! I think many of us have our own version. Based on all of your reports, I think you will be clearing snow and cutting grass with minimal effort as it is. I am sorry to report that you may have been infected, but not really, it’s totally worth it imho. I think you will discover, based on the way you have described yourself, that you have just embarked on a lifetime relationship with a machine that is totally worth it. A good Gravely is in a different league from its competition of the day, let alone the junk that is sold today. Use it now, and pretty it up when time allows.

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Yes, this is becoming a novel, or at least a short story. :) I'm sure that you won't be forgetting how this whole episode played itself out any time soon.

The "rock shaft" is the hinged assembly that mates the hydraulic ram with the lifting rods (mower deck, snow blower, etc.) . It's located between the frame rails just forward of the shifters. It's accessed from the underside of the tractor. The ram is attached at the top, and the lift rods are then attached at the bottom. There are attachment points on both sides of the rock shaft. The mower deck, and snow dozer plow (which G.A.S. will demand that you start looking for at some point :)) lift rods attach on the right side, and the blower's lift rod(s) attach on the left side.

The mower deck's lift rod may still be attached to the mower deck, or the rock shaft.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Congrats on your new tractor. Mine is relatively new to me too. I find myself regularly looking for reasons to get it out and use it, as well as scouring eBay for parts I don’t even need.
Well thanks, but hold tight, I don't have it yet, plan is to pick it up Sunday. I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as I can!

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
:)

So you should be able to handle the G.A.S. with no problem.

Sadly (or not), there's no known cure. It doesn't help to buy more Gravelys. It's unclear whether herd immunity is relevant in this context; more widespread infections seem to just keep it spreading. It doesn't help to wear a mask, or stay 6 feet away from other Gravely owners.

The good news is that it's seldom fatal. The biggest downsides appear to be obsessively reading Gravely literature, continuously finding more excuses to go play with them, and sometimes a disgruntled partner. Thankfully, my wife fully supports my addiction. She says it helps get the outdoor work done, and keeps me from getting in to more trouble elsewhere :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Yes, this is becoming a novel, or at least a short story. :) I'm sure that you won't be forgetting how this whole episode played itself out any time soon.

The "rock shaft" is the hinged assembly that mates the hydraulic ram with the lifting rods (mower deck, snow blower, etc.) . It's located between the frame rails just forward of the shifters. It's accessed from the underside of the tractor. The ram is attached at the top, and the lift rods are then attached at the bottom. There are attachment points on both sides of the rock shaft. The mower deck, and snow dozer plow (which G.A.S. will demand that you start looking for at some point :)) lift rods attach on the right side, and the blower's lift rod(s) attach on the left side.

The mower deck's lift rod may still be attached to the mower deck, or the rock shaft.
Haha!

I think I found that rock shaft in the parts catalog on that Gravely Club site you sent me. I downloaded all the 8000 series manuals already. I'll look for the mower hook on the deck or hanging from the shaft, maybe when I get it home if trip number two goes like the first one. 😖

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
:)

So you should be able to handle the G.A.S. with no problem.

Sadly (or not), there's no known cure. It doesn't help to buy more Gravelys. It's unclear whether herd immunity is relevant in this context; more widespread infections seem to just keep it spreading. It doesn't help to wear a mask, or stay 6 feet away from other Gravely owners.

The good news is that it's seldom fatal. The biggest downsides appear to be obsessively reading Gravely literature, continuously finding more excuses to go play with them, and sometimes a disgruntled partner. Thankfully, my wife fully supports my addiction. She says it helps get the outdoor work done, and keeps me from getting in to more trouble elsewhere :)
You're so funny. I already have two other illnesses, so my partner is familiar with living with a sicko! The past fight was over who got to use the commercial Lawn Boy model 22261 to mow, the new fight will be who gets to use this (once it's all dialed in and ready to go).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sounds like you have both ends of the deck driveshaft. The female end is only about 7 inches long.

At worst, you're missing the lift rod. That's readily available, or easy to make.
Oh good. I wasn't really up to searching for pricey rare parts that I don't even know what they look like. I'm a bit low on money having just bought a new house, fixing a million things, two house payments now, driving between the two, and trying to prep the old one to put on the market. It's been a crazy 2 months. I need things to settle down. And I need to research pole barns, designs, and start figuring all that out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I love your story! I think many of us have our own version. Based on all of your reports, I think you will be clearing snow and cutting grass with minimal effort as it is. I am sorry to report that you may have been infected, but not really, it’s totally worth it imho. I think you will discover, based on the way you have described yourself, that you have just embarked on a lifetime relationship with a machine that is totally worth it. A good Gravely is in a different league from its competition of the day, let alone the junk that is sold today. Use it now, and pretty it up when time allows.
Appreciate your comments and confidence in me and my upcoming purchase. Somehow the 4 digit price for something in this condition has my stomach upset. But I do know the value of a tough machine that's not plastic garbage. And the fact that I have you guys here as a resource really gives me some peace of mind honestly. Thank you. I have never made friends so fast with anyone online before in any social media community, and you guys have no idea what I look like or what I do or anything. It's quite nice that people just are willing to help. That's how I am too in real life, I just don't have all that much time to devote online, hence just only this one thread (novel). You'll be sorry you ever replied to me lol :LOL:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Appreciate your comments and confidence in me and my upcoming purchase. Somehow the 4 digit price for something in this condition has my stomach upset. But I do know the value of a tough machine that's not plastic garbage. And the fact that I have you guys here as a resource really gives me some peace of mind honestly. Thank you. I have never made friends so fast with anyone online before in any social media community, and you guys have no idea what I look like or what I do or anything. It's quite nice that people just are willing to help. That's how I am too in real life, I just don't have all that much time to devote online, hence just only this one thread (novel). You'll be sorry you ever replied to me lol :LOL:
I don’t have any social media accounts, and I am involved with technology, go figure. To be honest though, people like JRD and Tractortag, among many others, really make this forum tick; they are indeed special for their contributions. And in the same way, Gravely tractors are doers, not poseurs. I find the people on here are much the same; it’s down right refreshing. Glad you are here. And a big tip of the hat to this community!

a silly side note, if it helps: I learned Gravely on my fathers early seventies 816, which replaced a Bolens. I made a lot of money with that tractor mowing, plowing and snow blowing. That tractor has since been repowered with a Kohler M16 (Sheldon set me straight on what that is) and I think, if I am lucky, that it will find its way into my garage one day. Talk about G.A.S......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I don’t have any social media accounts, and I am involved with technology, go figure. To be honest though, people like JRD and Tractortag, among many others, really make this forum tick; they are indeed special for their contributions. And in the same way, Gravely tractors are doers, not poseurs. I find the people on here are much the same; it’s down right refreshing. Glad you are here. And a big tip of the hat to this community!

a silly side note, if it helps: I learned Gravely on my fathers early seventies 816, which replaced a Bolens. I made a lot of money with that tractor mowing, plowing and snow blowing. That tractor has since been repowered with a Kohler M16 (Sheldon set me straight on what that is) and I think, if I am lucky, that it will find its way into my garage one day. Talk about G.A.S......
An early 70s 816 sounds pretty cool. Does that basically look like an 817 with the red color and white hood and white rear fenders? I like the older two-tone colors on anything, but the decals on the white hood look especially great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So where are all you guys from? Jrd, tracktortag Dave, kyavion, Early8Q, any anyone else I missed? I’m from mid Michigan. And my name’s James. Nice to meet you all. Might as well be friends since we all have this disease.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Does that basically look like an 817 with the red color and white hood and white rear fenders?
Here's a pic of my 812. All the 800 series had this paint scheme. It does look pretty sharp, at least when it's not all dirty :)

The 800 series are all pretty much visually identical. Different engines, but you mostly only see that when you look at them from the back, or lift the seat pan. Or look at the stickers. And they of course sound different when running; the twin cylinder Onan makes completely different noises than the Kohler thumpers.

With the 8000 series, there were a few more differences. There are long frame and short frame models. They also changed the controls over time.

I'm John. Central Mass.

Attachments

Reactions: Early8Q

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Appreciate the kind words, Early. James, it's good meeting you. I'm out on Long Island, N.Y. It sounds like your plate is very full right now. When you get your tractor home, it shouldn't take much to have it ready to go. Carb. cleaning, changing the oil/filter, fuel filter, and transmission oil (regular oil, I've been using 40 wt., others have other preferences), lubing other moving parts, (clutch assys., etc.) and you should be good to go. Oh, you should also check that the big center bolt going through the front axle is tight.

The point is don't worry about things like the seat, etc. There will be plenty of time down the road to take care of those things when time permits.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love that "van door" motor on JRD's blower! That's sweet. I was hoping to find a photo of my father on the 816, but could only find my son on it. Those with a keen eye will notice that the rear hitch has been unhooked and bolted down. And the black paint of the M16. The seat has been replaced a few times. You got me thinking of the sound of that old Onan, it really was a sweet sounding twin.

We are in south eastern PA, not far from Philadelphia. If I could only have one, I would have a hard time letting this 816 go. Sometimes I just really love the compact nature of this tractor vs. the long frames.

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
Nice pic of your son on the 816, Early. I'm fine with my standard frames too. My lifetable hitches are still operational, but I double bolted them up too so I can use a ball hitch, and the winch if I need it.

Yes, John did a great job fabbing up the motorized blower chute. Very cool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Here's a pic of my 812. All the 800 series had this paint scheme. It does look pretty sharp, at least when it's not all dirty :)

The 800 series are all pretty much visually identical. Different engines, but you mostly only see that when you look at them from the back, or lift the seat pan. Or look at the stickers. And they of course sound different when running; the twin cylinder Onan makes completely different noises than the Kohler thumpers.

With the 8000 series, there were a few more differences. There are long frame and short frame models. They also changed the controls over time.

I'm John. Central Mass.
Nice to meet you John. Sorry for being gone so long. Been so busy! So is your blower painted an Ariens color?

So then would my ‘future’ 8171 be a long frame or short frame? Is one better for a particular reason?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
A couple questions in general for everyone/anyone, especially if you get the first one before tomorrow morning haha. How long would be an 8171 with a snowblower attached and roughly how long (front to back) might be a 50 inch wide mower deck? Have borrowed a friends utility trailer and wouldn’t mind putting a tape measure to it to have a plan before I show up tomorrow! Maybe i load the deck first and have to set the blower down on top, pulling the tractor on forward. To complicate matters, it’s a tilt trailer, so not sure how to accomplish that!

Also, how do you guys sharpen your blades? I toasted my angled stone with the flat plastic disk that fit in my die grinder last fall. That helped me at least (I think) get pretty close to the correct angle on many Lawn Boy blades but I only had to accomplish two city lots per week. The grass volume here will be much more. That deck has 3 blades I saw. And where’s a good source for a second set of blades? Is the part number or correct style unique?

61 - 80 of 113 Posts