My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I picked up that 816t out of NH that I posted up a couple weeks ago. The "restoration" is not really up to par and the tractor looks pretty great from about 20' away. My only real complaint was that not enough prep work went into the pre finish job. It'll do for now though.

It was running beautifully for the 1st few times I fired it up. When we got some snow finally I was using it to move the snow until it started sputtering. Assumed it was out of gas and parked it. It was real low when I checked it but could still see a small amount in there.
Tried to fire it up the next day with gas and it only turns over. I pulled the spark plug wire off and cranked it and saw nothing. My guess is points, condenser or coil? I have no idea about this stuff though. Can I test it to see if it's working? The coil placement is obvious. The other 2 though I do not know. I can trace wires coming off the coil to a small rectangular box that sits under the air cleaner towards the front of the tractor. Not sure what this is though.
I'm sorry for the lack of knowledge that I possess w/ this and would really appreciate the help.
Thanks so much, Mike

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
It sounds more like a fuel issue. When it ran low, it probably sucked up crud/water from the bottom of the tank. If it were getting fuel, but no spark, the plugs should have been wet.

Try this to check for spark. Pull one of the plugs out and lay it on the head so that it makes contact with the head. Crank the engine and see if there is any spark. If there is, it's a fuel issue.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Hi all,
I picked up that 816t out of NH that I posted up a couple weeks ago. The "restoration" is not really up to par and the tractor looks pretty great from about 20' away. My only real complaint was that not enough prep work went into the pre finish job. It'll do for now though.

It was running beautifully for the 1st few times I fired it up. When we got some snow finally I was using it to move the snow until it started sputtering. Assumed it was out of gas and parked it. It was real low when I checked it but could still see a small amount in there.
Tried to fire it up the next day with gas and it only turns over. I pulled the spark plug wire off and cranked it and saw nothing. My guess is points, condenser or coil? I have no idea about this stuff though. Can I test it to see if it's working? The coil placement is obvious. The other 2 though I do not know. I can trace wires coming off the coil to a small rectangular box that sits under the air cleaner towards the front of the tractor. Not sure what this is though.
I'm sorry for the lack of knowledge that I possess w/ this and would really appreciate the help.
Thanks so much, Mike
Did you just pull the wires off the plugs and lay them on the motor? You need to pull the plugs out of the heads, re-attach the wires to the plugs with the bottom of the plug sitting on the head or a good grounding point and then turn the motor over (try to start it with the key) and see if you have a blue spark.

Onan points rarely give much trouble, even with me washing my tractor I haven't experienced any problems with mine getting wet.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
I should also point out that I recently picked up a CCKA Onan that had been sitting for I know over 2 years and from further evaluation, much longer that had good spark as soon as we tested it.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
It sounds more like a fuel issue. When it ran low, it probably sucked up crud/water from the bottom of the tank. If it were getting fuel, but no spark, the plugs should have been wet.
If it got a snoot full of water the plugs would be wet but wet with water. Take the top off the carb, mop up the fuel/water in the bowl, drain and blow out the tank dry, flush the lines, change the fuel filter, give it a fresh dose of fuel and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
The fuel filter is the gold colored thing that is ahead of the electric fuel pump.

That is a common old style Ford automotive fuel filter. Used most often on the 302 CID engine with a carburetor.

Here is a picture.

If you decide to blow through it, don't use compressed air. I would likely leave the line disconnected near the carb and let the fuel pump do the work of flushing the lines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to Richard I know what to do. Is that a filter though? If so should I still change it? It looks more heavy duty then just a throw away unit. Also you don't say I should remove the carb, just take the top off and clean the fuel out of what I can see?
Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Yes that is a throw away fuel filter. Any auto parts store should have one for about $10-15. If you are in a hurry then leave the filter alone.

Do not remove the carb. There is no point. Take the air cleaner off, close the choke, remove the 4 screws holding the top on and lift the top off. Mop up the gas/water. If dirt is in the bottom, blow that out. Reassemble. Close the choke when installing the cover screws.

I would order a couple of new gaskets from Onanparts.com as a leaky gasket will cause flooding issues. A leaky gasket can cause the crankcase to fill up with fuel. If the engine ever fails to crank, it isn't because the battery is dead.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it started. Thank you so much folks. The gas that was in the carb was rust colored. I turned the fuel pump on and it let run till the clear stuff came out. As long as I have no problems this winter I would like to hold off until spring for the clean out.

I have a question though. With the key on (pump runs) but tractor not running. The fuel pump shoots gas out of the non screw hole on top of the carb. That doesn't sound very good to me. I know the pump is not original to the 816t. But is this OK or should something be corrected here?

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Sounds like the needle isn't sealing fully on the seat. This is the piece moved by the float assembly. Your tractor should have a B43 Onan on it with a "DD" carb. If you can get to spring I would highly recommend a carb removal, soaking, full rebuild, and a new brass float as opposed to the factory original foam float.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts

Circled in yellow is the needle and the brass is the seat. You also have the old foam float.

Parts are available from onanparts.com here on MTF, Boomer also here on MTF, an Onan dealer, or another web site is GPhope.com

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Just thinking further, the foam floats swell in the new E10 gas, yours may not be able to rise fully to shut the fuel off due to swelling, causing the electric pump the ability to continue to feed the carb fuel.

When you rebuild, you could go through the factory fuel pump and put it back into service and do away with the electric pump if you desire. It looks like it is still there on the carb and the the previous owner is just pushing fuel through it as opposed to fixing it. (I don't think you were the first one to have problems with this carb..)

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I am with Jimmy. Put the fuel system back to stock, install a brass float, new needle and seat along with the new gasket and it should be trouble free for several years.

Drain that tank, remove it, rinse it out, dry thoroughly with compressed air and reinstall. There is water lying in the bottom just rusting the tank away.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts

That is as nasty a picture as I have seen in a long time. I am saving a copy to show what can happen if you don't keep you tanks full.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.