My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So kicking off this project that the parts have been laying around for atleast 4 years.

Step one fish out trans and motor
DSC01688.JPG

Step 2 put that in the shop
DSC01690.JPG

Frame, front axle, extra parts, rims and tires
DSC01737.JPG

Got the cylinder hydro lines, valve, battery plate, and rack gear put back in
DSC01746.JPG

Shifters installed and hydro lift lever
DSC01749.JPG

Front axle in, tie rods on
DSC01756.JPG

Slide trans and motor over
DSC01759.JPG

Connecting the 2 halfs
DSC01762.JPG

Put on other hub, cleaned uo some more wheel lug bolts, put matching tuff tires on the rims
DSC01765.JPG

Got 2 front tires on, full blown roller now
DSC01769.JPG

Out pic room onto the next one now

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gonna try thumbnails on this batch

Ok found out this dash was from this frame, broken chunk from dash was still bolted to frame lol
DSC01772.JPG
Carb was a mess from me putting gas in it in 2016 to hear it run. Cleaned carb got it running checked trans function. No real pics just vids of that
DSC01785.JPG
So this motor and frame were not together originally, turning the 8162-t into the 8163-T time
DSC01797.JPG
Supposedly the pto was shot on this...... maybe half shot. Im gonna run what I brung and see. Have one to go in it if need be
DSC01798.JPG
Ah the bits go there
DSC01800.JPG
These bits, had to make a keyway for the gear as both were missing from my setups. Maybe never had maybe lost over 4 years who knows.
DSC01801.JPG
A trick I did was, put gear on shaft and inside snap ring, then put it into the case, while holding in on shaft gentle tapping bearings in with spacers in the right order. Haveing a spare spacer to do that helped greatly. Outside installed
DSC01806.JPG
Inside installed, guess I never took a pic of the pump installed, but hydro lift worked. No leaks yet, knock on wood
DSC01808.JPG
So electrical, while running no charge the battery, ac voltage good, dc to regulator good. Regulator bad. Replaced, wired up head lights, starter solenoid, even safety switchs outa other frames work. I do like to have the forward and reverse and pto one. Keeps you from running your foot over if left in gear and cranking it over
DSC01815.JPG
Hey head lights even worked
DSC01816.JPG

Out of pic room again, post 3 please

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So steering wheels, wellllllllllll I have 2 of this style. Both broke in different ways. Jb weld is setting up tonight. And will let you know how that goes
Wheel one
DSC01813.JPG
Wheel 2. Also side note work bench cluttered like my mind doing 1000 things at once.
DSC01814.JPG
So only had 2 frame to trans bolts, heres my idea. See how it works out long term.
DSC01817.JPG
Sat the hood on with gas tank and fuel lines in.
DSC01818.JPG
Battery in it is too big. Sat seat pan on and found out this is an 800 frame with and 8000 seat pan. Since I had to drill one mounting hole. And put nuts on back side of frame. Could have put an white 800 pan on, but building first year 8000 life. First time I've seen it together, needs a bath, steering wheel, shiftier plate, and lower spherical bearing for steering shaft. Otherwise ready to rock and roll.
DSC01819.JPG
Bolted hood and seat pan down, and could resit trying it out
DSC01827.JPG
Send help for my work bench from swinging wrenches the last few days on this
DSC01829.JPG

Not 100% done yet, but alot guys like my builds of rags to riches still. She might not be pretty, she'll work builds

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
+1! I love things like this. Nice going Steve!

Now that it's spring, I'm looking at my own stash of parts . . . .

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1! I love things like this. Nice going Steve!

Now that it's spring, I'm looking at my own stash of parts . . . .
Know that feeling all to well

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the spherical bearing............ I have been searching up and down for about 2 hours online. No luck other than Jacks. And they want $66 for one. So from jacks .498x 1.312x .523 or .525 I got measuring. Lay mens terms 1/2 id 1/5/16th od and just a smidge thinker than half inch, no super critical there im thinking. Open to ideas there.
Is a used one on ebay for something like $31 plus tax shipping ect.
Im gonna see what I can get them thur work for this afternoon, and try local bearing place as well. Any leads post them here fellas
Humm missing center, one off of 82 8163-B, Its not a whole lot better just still have the center piece yet
DSC01832.JPG DSC01833.JPG DSC01836.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that actually a self-aligning bearing? Would something like 1201 Self Aligning Bearing 12x32x10 do?
Self aligning technically bearing I believe. Size must be odd. As I can find alot, but none with all the right dimensions. Metric version from what I figured goes to a 12.70 x 33.33 or close. So 13 by 33 would work maybe. Trying to avoid the money spent or trial and error bit . so would a 12x32 work unsure

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
It's hard to find imperial-dimension bearings for a lot of applications. It's never been quite clear to me why the bearing industry got established as mostly metric, but it's been that way for ages. Even my 1928 Model A Ford has metric bearings in several places.

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That bearing must be gold plated, $46 something plus tax from gravely is cost on it. UGH this whole project while I haven't spent much money has been like this the whole way. Not simple

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think a bearing from a pillow block should work. They are spherical.
At my last job we bought bearings like the one your talking about by the 1,000’s. They went on the axles for an Argo. 1.000” diameter and spherical outer diameter.
I’ll look and see what I can find. Shouldn’t cost you more than $10.00 I would think.

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok while im still working on cheaper bit heres the originals. What I thought was heim 158. Turned out to be LS8. The way the case was worn right at numbers. Still steep price!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were looking for the OD to be spherical. Best price I saw on the one you need was around $45.00 from Motion.

·
Super Moderator
11,300 Posts
It's pretty neat that you had a complete tractor's worth of parts around. It was like you picked up a Gravely kit.:) Nice build. I also installed the gear on the shaft before installing it into the transmission when I converted the 814 to hydraulic lift. No dropped gears, keys, or clips to worry about.

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on bearing. While I was out yesterday stopped at local bearing place for its and giggles. While im not saying there giving them away. Was able to order them for $36 a piece. Catch 22 is I had to get 3 of them. For anybody keeping track $114.38 with tax. But honestly needed 2 for sure anyhow. Still ahead $9 with no shipping ahead more technically on each.

As a public service announcement, make sure your greasing them guys. There not a stock bearing. Actually there more like bushing and are only made by heim period. There is nothing that crosses. It took a bearing place 20 minutes to track a place down that had them. And won't have them till mid next week. Truthfully if I would of had the center, i'd of ran it with the play. Eye opening only not off the shelf bearing I ran across thus far

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice build Steve! Your moving quick. Can't wait to read about the start up.

RB in RI
Was about 5 days from start to time of posting. Not full days either. Oh it runs if I had fuel line i'd be out driveing around, and see if the pto is ok or not

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's pretty neat that you had a complete tractor's worth of parts around. It was like you picked up a Gravely kit.:) Nice build. I also installed the gear on the shaft before installing it into the transmission when I converted the 814 to hydraulic lift. No dropped gears, keys, or clips to worry about.
Figured I'd get the parts cleaned up abit around here. Thanks, Dave and I've learned from the best on those lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts