My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay awesome to know. I plan on repainting and making the tractor like new. What paint would be best to use? And I can't seem to find the decal set for a 8160 online to order.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
The right color would be what we call "new Gravely" red. It's still available at Gravely dealers in 12 oz. rattle cans (Gravely Red #8700). Not exactly cheap though. Others here may be able to give you close alternatives.

Craig Seabrook makes great decals. He is also a founder of the Gravely Tractor Club of America. You may want to get in touch with him. I will PM you his e-mail address.

PM sent

Here's a pic of an early 8160 like yours with earlier 800 series seat pan, and grill surround.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Awesome thank you! I just sent him an email asking him about the details. And Holly smokes the paint is ridiculously priced.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
Yes, not cheap. Others here may be able to suggest alternatives.

You might want yo mention to Craig that you need decals with the orange stripes if you're going for maximum correctness. Newer 8000s had blue stripes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Warheadrevo, I kept having issues with the points glazing and causing problems. I tried changing the condenser and points with some luck; after a couple years I found out about a kind of electrical ignition called “Points Saver”. It makes it so the points are used for the timing circuit and a lower voltage is used through the points.
I also think there are 3 magnets on the flywheel, I’ll try to remember to dig out a old flywheel I have stashed away to make sure.
Scott

21 - 25 of 25 Posts