My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 816 I bought recently is getting a refresh. Richard-tx is going to massage the well worn hubs - thanks Richard.

The muffler is rusted through at the end cap - the entire muffler and pipes assembly looks ready to disintegrate.

Does anyone have opinions of the sound quality of single vs. dual mufflers, and gravely vs. Kawasaki vs. other brands?

I see new Kawasaki mufflers on ebay that can easily be adapted to the 816.

Thanks for any opinions etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would love to hear what everybody has to say about this.

The CCKA on my 8171 is so nice and quiet with a single muffler. The B48 on the 818T with the twin mufflers sounds terrible...way too loud for my liking.

I would love to put a quite, single muffler on it if anyone has any suggestions.

Jack

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I have twin mufflers on my B series Onan and a single on the CCKA. As far as I know there is no single muffler available for the B series. The twins seem OK to me. I have the tailpipes on them. Maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Richard,

I have the tail pipes too. Maybe it is just that my mufflers are the originals from the day it was new. On another thought, it would not be that much work to take a ccka muffler and modify to fit the B48. I've spent so much time around noisy equipment, I really enjoy a modesty quite machine anymore.

Jack

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,734 Posts
I have twin mufflers on my B series Onan and a single on the CCKA. As far as I know there is no single muffler available for the B series. The twins seem OK to me. I have the tailpipes on them. Maybe that makes a difference.
I like the sounds of the B series. But yes there were singles for the Bs too. But they were tucked down near the hitch on the right side. You'll find them on the model 8199 with the B48M-GA019. A lot like on the 24-G. Here's one on a 8199.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
One day I will take some SPL measurements of the various tractors I have.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I've spent so much time around noisy equipment, I really enjoy a modestly quiet machine....
I do too and that us why I want to put a better muffler on my Pro8. A Cub Cadet muffler would be just the ticket but there just isn't enough room to put a pipe fitting on the engine unless I pull the engine, put a street L on and then install the engine. I would likely have to modify the plate the control linkage mounts to as well. There is no easy solution for the Pro8.

Maybe a crossover pipe would help?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the pic Don. I can't quite see the benefit in having all that exhaust pipe running down to under the engine. I question if the lift hitch would work with that. I am sure it is quieter though.

A crossover pipe might help but with a twin firing at the same time would it make much difference...I don't know. I think for me the best solution would be to retrofit a better single muffler using the existing flanges and pipes. I don't think the Onan on my Miller AEAD 200le is nearly as loud as the B48. Another project for another day.

jack

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
A crossover pipe might help but with a twin firing at the same time would it make much difference...I don't know.
Twins don't fire at the same time. They fire alternately. I think the idea behind the crossover is to make the flow through the muffler more of a constant than a series of pulses.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm interested in this too - it should not be hard to do and adaption with some basic cutting and welding... so how about it - has anybody done a retrofit?

My onan with dual singles is WAY too loud. I do wear ear protection or my ears will ring after a good mow.

The 816 I bought recently is getting a refresh. Richard-tx is going to massage the well worn hubs - thanks Richard.

The muffler is rusted through at the end cap - the entire muffler and pipes assembly looks ready to disintegrate.

Does anyone have opinions of the sound quality of single vs. dual mufflers, and gravely vs. Kawasaki vs. other brands?

I see new Kawasaki mufflers on ebay that can easily be adapted to the 816.

Thanks for any opinions etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the correction Richard. I was under the impression they did. In that case, I could see the crossover quieting it down some.

jack

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
My onan with dual singles is WAY too loud.
WOW! That is impressive. I think the loudest tractors I have is a tossup between the M18 and the M8 engines. THe M18 on the 16G is particularly bad because of the rear mounted vacuum. I will mess with the SPL meter tomorrow. I will take two measurements, One while seated and another 10ft behind the tractor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't mean to dredge this up, but did you ever get db readings, Richard? Just came back here researching replacement mufflers and I'm curious to know. Think I've gotta go with singles on the B43, at least for now.

Also, I think jackhdn may be correct about simultaneous firing, at least with some of the Onans. According to my B43M parts manual it looks like the crankshaft is offset so the cylinders balance each other out. (Oddly enough, I was talking with a co-worker about this particular engine design feature just last week...)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also, I think jackhdn may be correct about simultaneous firing, at least with some of the Onans. According to my B43M parts manual it looks like the crankshaft is offset so the cylinders balance each other out. (Oddly enough, I was talking with a co-worker about this particular engine design feature just last week...)
I don't know either way but I think Richard is correct. I think though that one is on exhaust stroke while one is on compression. Both plugs fire, but only one is doing anything. Would have to look at the valve timing to be sure. Seems it would be alot of work on it if both were on compression stroke at once.

Jack

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a B43M Onan on my Case/Ingersoll 446. Remove both heads, rotate the flywheel until the cast line on the flywheel lines up with 21 deg BTDC. Look at the position of the valves on both cylinders. They will be different. One will be on compression stroke, the other won't.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I don't mean to dredge this up, but did you ever get db readings, Richard?
I looked for my DB meter and cannot find it. I have a couple of other places to look. Maybe my son borrowed it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know either way but I think Richard is correct. I think though that one is on exhaust stroke while one is on compression.
D'oh! :fing20: You're right. I guess I shouldn't post this late at night. My fuzzbrain forgot there are more than two strokes on these engines. :hide:

Nothing to see here, move along...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts