My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my 816 running. I still have some things to do (does that ever end?) but the question is........... ...........the Onan CCKA engine was built in October of 1975 (serial number J750) so should I be using lead additive in the gas?????

Second the PTO seems to be free spinning when disengaged and doesn't seem to change if I engage it. I don't have any load on it right now other than the connecting shaft to the front to hook a snow cannon on it. when I parked it probably 6 years ago it worked fine. Do I need a load on it to see if it is working or do I have a problem? There is no change in engine when I engage it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Regular unleaded gas is fine, just add a quality additive such as Stabil to treat the fuel for storage and combat the effects of ethanol. Rust may have built up on the shaft during storage, which could be causing the PTO shaft to turn. It's a not a huge concern and should sort itself out with use. No change in engine noise is normal. The PTO lever may need to be adjusted though. Refer to the manual at gravelymanuals.com for proper adjustment procedures.

Rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts