My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
to many projects
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get a 12vcoil for my onan .On ebay a 20+ year old coil is going for 60-70 bucks.I found new 65 to 79 harley davidson w/points ign. fit nice with minor mod and it runs great for about 40 buks shipped

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Looks like it's a pretty good fit. What kind of minor mod was involved?

·
to many projects
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all i did was grind the area where the hose clamp goes between the harley mounting holes ez and it fits well

·
to many projects
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohh i was glad to throw that resistor crap away too!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Don't forget that if you change the coil, the condenser should be changed as well. The capacitor and the coil forms a L-C circuit and if they are unbalanced it will shorten the life of the points. If I were you I would get a Harley condenser and install it after disconnecting the old condenser.

If you pull the Onan points box to remove the condenser, don't forget to set the timing.

A change like this isn't exactly plug-and-play.

I like easy so I would have forked over the extra money for plug-n-play.

·
to many projects
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did replace the condenser with a new automotive one i had on the shelf.You are right though i should get the right one.I think i will mount it out of the points box next to the coil somewhere easy to get at

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The problem with condensers is that their value in microfarads are not generally known. If that were known, then finding suitable substitutes would be easy.

Where you mount it is up to you. As long as the case is well grounded, it will work.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Boomer has used and guaranteed Onan parts. Did you check to see if he has a used 12 volt coil?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I bought my Onan brand 12V coil at a local parts store and it was $60-$70 I would have a hard time paying more than $35 for a used coil.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Boomers prices are usually 50% off or more compared to new prices. A coil is about $35 and some are NOS.

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Looks like a really nice and easy conversion! Should be made into a sticky. Nice work!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts