My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four square F engine BBC mower with SP. I picked up this mower yesterday and other than being kinda funky, it smokes like crazy when the BBC is engaged. Not so much when it's "idling" (BBC disengaged). I cleaned the carbon out of the muffler. Just so you know, this is the rectangular side mount muffler with the 180 degree bend from the ports to the muffler mount flange.

I cleaned out as much carbon as I could in that bend plumbing and that seemed to help the engine run better. I've mixed up a gallon of unleaded with 3 oz of Lucas semi-synthetic, 2 oz. MMO and 1 oz of Stabil and have just started feeding it that recipe.

Other than the smoke, the engine seems to run strong. Compression seems good. Should I just mow with it and see if it clears?

Any ideas? Thanks chums!

Charlie

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'd substitute Sea Foam for the Stabil over the next gallon of fuel and just run it. I will most likely clear up itself. At least smoke should mean it's getting enough lubrication.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's fully disengaging. If it was smoke from the BBC, it would be coming from under the deck. The smoke is coming totally from within the muffler. There's a definite difference in the sound between engaged and idling.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
I would say it is an overoiled or dirty airfilter, or residue in the muffler that will burn off after a couple of good mows. At least those where the two causes of the smoke from the LBs I have gotten.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update : 8155 Schoolbus smokes like a chimney!

Gave it a good mow today and it's definitely clearing up. It now hums more than it 4 cycles which is a good sign.

It's heavy, yes but it mulches very well and the SP was designed well and works well. I mulched heavy wet grass and it slowed some but showed no signs of dying. Plus, it SP'd much better in the wet than the best capstan drive I've ever used.

The BBC seems to work flawlessly. When first engaged, it slows the engine down about 75% for about half a second then comes up to speed nicely.

All in all, not bad for a trash pick.

Thanks for the input friends.

Charlie

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
lol its sound like my 10550 when i used it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts