My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on restoring my gravely that my dad bought new in 78 -79. its cool because i grew up with this machine so it deserves a nice restoration. i finally settled on stripping it all down and taking it to a body shop and having them paint it. its going to be painted the orange red that i found under the hood that is still glossy. the k301 is painted "general lee" orange for some reason and does not match the rest, i know it to be original but i think for simplicity i will make it all the same.

Attachments

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Yet another model number that I've never heard of. Very cool!
Remember when I posted about my 8160 (now Jimmy's). The 8121 is the same year, the first 8000 tractors. Only made for one year.

What part of MD Kenny? I'm over Mount Airy way.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Nice looking tractor and even better that you know the history of it. With the wheels turned in I have to guess you had a 40" under it. What shape is the deck in?

Basically....:wwp::wwp::wwp::wwp:

Take lots of pictures to share and keep us posted on how it comes out!

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
the k301 is painted "general lee" orange for some reason and does not match the rest, i know it to be original but i think for simplicity i will make it all the same.
I've seen a lot paint "miss match" on engines that are original to the tractor, especialy on the tractors that were powder coated. The Kohlers were painted at the Kohler factory and the paint was different from the paint/pc used at the factory. They were the same color/shade when new, but faded in different directions over time.

How are you going to paint it?

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Remember when I posted about my 8160 (now Jimmy's). The 8121 is the same year, the first 8000 tractors. Only made for one year.

What part of MD Kenny? I'm over Mount Airy way.
So that year, were model numbers ending in "0" manual lift, and "1" hydraulic?

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
There were a couple of different number for hydraulic vs manual lift. I've seen it posted before but I can't remember. I think "7" was hydraulic too...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im new to this site but so far everyone has been very helpful. i live in bel air in fact i talked to me dad and he said he purchased the tractor from bel air gravely which i dont even remember. he bought it with a 40 inch deck and a snow plow. its interesting you can flip the wheels so it clears the larger mowers. i bought a 8120 (manual lift) for parts it has the larger deck and the wide stance, its true the difference between the 20 and the 21 is the lift. both decks i have are in working order but 30+ years old showing their age could use paint. i might go paint or powder coat leaning toward paint mainly because i dont want to strip the transmission down to send out the case

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
FWIW, I just painted my old 800 series transmission and it looks pretty nice. LOTS of degreasing, wire-brushing and pressure washing (and I still didn't get everything) to prep the surface and it looks pretty good. I'll post a picture later so you can see if it works for you. Used Sherwin Williams industrial enamel.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
FWIW, I just painted my old 800 series transmission and it looks pretty nice. Used Sherwin Williams industrial enamel.
You might try Sher-Kem with the optional hardener. It is a harder paint even without the optional hardener and ultra high gloss.

I have used untinted SHer-Kem ultra-deep base as a clear coat over Industrial enamel. It works well.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
I bet Kenny is the first one to get a restored transition tractor. I am anxiously awaiting to see how this restoration goes. Anything we can do Kenny, let us know! We just require constant picture updates!

Ohh yeah... Welcome to MTF!!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Found a picture of another one too..... not a transition but a commercial.

So what defines a transition tractor? An 8000 "Professional" that is all red?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.