My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, all of the 800/8000 series transmission questions have reminded me that I have an issue with my 8102 transmission. When moving in reverse, it makes a loud "ch-ch-ch-ch" noise, sort of like a loud, high-pitched wind-up toy. The sound is worst in 1st gear. It's still present in the other 3 gears but not nearly as bad. The engine doesn't sound like it's under any additional load when I hear this noise.

I do not notice any unusual noises when in forward motion. I rarely use reverse and I don't have a mower deck for this tractor, so it's not a priority. I'll crack open the transmission eventually, but if anyone has experienced this same problem and can give me an idea as to what needs to be replaced, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had the clicking noise on a couple of my Gravelys from 800 to G series. I only notice it when in low range reverse with the PTO on. It does not do it in hi range. I talked to a Gravely mechanic and he said it is nothing to worry about. I also figured that since it happened on a few different tractors I should not worry. My 8171 is still going strong and it has clicked since I bought it. I know you said you do not have a mower deck but I do not know if you are using the PTO. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
With the tractor idling, how much do the clutches wobble

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely not classify it as a clicking noise. I usually leave the PTO engaged when I use the tractor (no implement hooked up), as the service manual says it's a good idea to help circulate oil in the transmission. I haven't had anything hooked up to the PTO though (I usually just pull a disk harrow with it) and disengaging it doesn't have any effect on the noise.

The clutches don't wobble much, if at all. I have them properly gapped. They engage smoothly. I do think it has to be something on the "Number Two Shaft and Reverse Clutch" that's causing the noise. Bearings almost gone, maybe?

I should also mention that there is blue sealant between the two halves of the transmission case, so someone has probably been inside of it before.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
If someone has been in there before, they probably left something out by mistake, a washer, spacer, shim, etc. The clicking is probably gears sliding by each other...

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
If there is sealant then someone has been in it and what you may find is completely open to speculation.

My advice would be to split that case and find out what is going on in there. It could be a broken snap ring, bad bearing, or almost anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If that case has been open, you might find: false teeth, wedding ring, glass eye, glasses, random bolt, screw, tool or perhaps Jimmy Hoffa. I opened up the exhaust on my old truck last summer and found the socket extensions I had been looking for since the previous summer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.