My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to rebuild the carb on my 810 with a K241 10HP Kohler engine. My problem is I can never get the bowl to stop leaking. The kit comes with 2 gaskets, 1 gasket is a square "O" ring and the other is a thin rubber with cut outs for the float hinge. I have the float set parallel with the bottom of the carb, new float,valve, and seat. Do you put the square "O" ring in the groove and then put the thin rubber gasket on top of the O ring. Is there some special procedure on putting this together right the first time so that the bowl doesn't leak? I always have problems with bowl gasket leaks.

BUD

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Don't run to the bank with this, but I just did the carb. on my 810, and I believe you use either the gasket or the "O" ring, but not both. Using both leaves the bottom of the float bowl too far away from the bottom of the main jet boss, and you will not be able to tighten the bowl bolt suffieiently to stop it from leaking. I removed the "O" ring and used just the gasket, tightened the bolt until it seated, and all is well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The carb on my K241 just had the rubber gasket in it when I took it apart. It was hard to me to get it back on right to keep it from leaking, but it cinched down good after I got everything lined back up.

The fuel lines took a little adjusting to get them to quit leaking too, I'd say some Teflon tape would have helped if I had any.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I did a carb. rebuild on my k241 (424) and a neighbor's k301 (8123) recently and in both cases used all gaskets supplied in the kit (ring and bowl). Need to make sure the ring gasket is set in the groove with no twists. It has a square profile as I recall. The only time I ran into a similar problem to what you are describing is when the bowl gasket was positioned incorrectly w.r.t. the float. Check your float for leaks by shaking it, listening for the presence of gas inside. Also, make sure you are using the bowl nut gasket as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I did a carb. rebuild on my k241 (424) and a neighbor's k301 (8123) recently and in both cases used all gaskets supplied in the kit (ring and bowl). Need to make sure the ring gasket is set in the groove with no twists. It has a square profile as I recall. The only time I ran into a similar problem to what you are describing is when the bowl gasket was positioned incorrectly w.r.t. the float. Check your float for leaks by shaking it, listening for the presence of gas inside. Also, make sure you are using the bowl nut gasket as mentioned.
I use both as well. It's almost impossible to install the "O" ring while the carb is in the running position. I invert the carb and install the "O" ring in the groove, then install the rubber gasket. The float is then installed. Lastly, the float bowl along with a new gasket around the retaining screw/bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts