My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys iam obviously new to this forum but here are my questions!
I just brought home an 801 Powermaster that i got from my grandpa. It used to run about 5-6 years ago but we stoped running it because as it would get hot it would shut down! Well it sat outside for about 4-5 years and suprisingly is still in pretty good shape! The tractor has a stack on it but had a flapper so hopefully not too much water has made its way in!

I drained the oil and it did not look bad at all! Took the spark plugs out and stuck a screw driver down the holes and it does not look to good at this point! There was some moisture in there as well as some black crude, I can not get the engine to turn over as of now with a wrench on the PTO.

Next thing i did was take the valve cover off. I would assume i need to adjust the valves at soe point but the oil under the valve cover is super sludgy! So i may run some diesel down the through the engine to try and clean her out!

I guess really i would just like to have some tips on this tractor maybe some specs and a good place to buy fairly reasonable priced parts!
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,076 Posts
Pour some ATF into each spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple of days and then try to turn the engine by the crankshaft pulley nut. Turning the PTO is not the way to try to turn the engine over. Be sure to leave the spark plugs out when you turn the engine so the ATF will have somewhere to go. You don't want to hydro-lock the engine.

What specific model is it? 801 was a series, which Ford also called the Powermaster series. There were many individual models within the series, each unique by the middle number in the model number, which also tells you which options it has in the way of PTO and transmission type, as well as whether it had 3 point hydraulics or not:

811 - Select-O-Speed transmission and no PTO

821 - 4 speed transmission, no PTO an no 3 point lift

831 - 4 speed transmission and no PTO

841 - 4 speed transmission and trans driven (non-live) PTO

851 - 5 speed transmission and trans driven (non-live) PTO

861 - 5 speed transmission and Live PTO

871 - Select-O-Speed transmission and single speed independent PTO

881 - Select-O-Speed transmission and dual speed independent PTO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I did pour some diesel over the rocker arms and stuff cleaned them up with a rag and got them pretty dang clean! I was also told by a local guy that does alot of tractor work especially on these and 8n's to put White Vinegar through the spark plug holes and let it set a few days like you said with the ATF. So i did as he said and put about 4oz of white vinegar in each cylinder so i will let that set for a couple of days and see how that turns out!
I would also like to set the valves and what not while im in here! Any tips and specs on those? I do not know where the model number is on this thing to look up what tractor it actually is. All i knew was the sticker across the hood said 801 Powermaster.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
#'s located just behind the starter on flat spot on the bellhousing.
You will have to drain anything again when using Vinegar. Sometimes you can get it to roll over a half a turn or so until the next valve locks it up again. Go slow,forcing things will probably bend the push rods first.

Kirk

·
Safevet Ford 850
5 Posts
I would NOT adjust the valves yet...I doubt that has anything to do with your problem..get the engine turning over first..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well i looked for the number it says 861 in the number so im assuming that is what the tractor is! Iam scared to crank too hard on the crank bolt because i dont want to break the thing! Iam going to let the vinegar sit and do its thing for a day or two more before i mess with that side of it! I pulled the carb off today and it dident look too good so i sprayed it all out with some carb cleaner and am letting the insides kind of soak on the work bench!
Anything i need to know about these carbs or something i should maybe do? I plan to get new plugs and wires and switch her over to 12v as well is there anything on that topic i may need to know? My dad switched our 8n over to 12 so if its the same thing i got that pretty well covered!

Thanks for the help so far!!

·
Premium Member
8,076 Posts
Most folks run a 15W40 "C" rated diesel engine oil in the crankcase, even on the gas models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts