My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The upper bevel gear that's inline with the capstan drive shaft has several teeth that are worn and not engaging. Probably due to lack of lubrication over the lifetime of the mower. Does anyone have a source for these gears? Someone said they're NLA.

As I see it, I have three options: 1. Try to find a gear (or set of both) NOS or good used, 2. Find a couple of bevel gears that weren't original to this application and engineer them to fit, or 3. Pull the drive mechanism totally and make it a straight push mower. I'm still mulling it over.

I checked the fin tag as Ron suggested and it's a C45 engine. The engine has good spark and compression and will no doubt run.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
worth a try....
1-800-826-8563
mfg supply....

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
The upper bevel gear that's inline with the capstan drive shaft has several teeth that are worn and not engaging. Probably due to lack of lubrication over the lifetime of the mower. Does anyone have a source for these gears? Someone said they're NLA.

As I see it, I have three options: 1. Try to find a gear (or set of both) NOS or good used, 2. Find a couple of bevel gears that weren't original to this application and engineer them to fit, or 3. Pull the drive mechanism totally and make it a straight push mower. I'm still mulling it over.

I checked the fin tag as Ron suggested and it's a C45 engine. The engine has good spark and compression and will no doubt run.

Charlie
I thought it was a C45, were there no serial numbers on it ?
Was thinking the serial number would be stamped there also.
I'll look an see about the gear,but doubt I have one.
Do you have a pic of the gear ? I'm not that familiar with Auto Mowers.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
This is what the gear should look like.

I bought this last year because i was buying a 8226 and heard about how these strip gears. Sorry to hear about yours...

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Actually Ryan, I think he is after the gear on the shaft. Its a simple gear that slides on the shaft the rollers are on....it spins the big gear you pictured.

Lhead, if you need help give me a part # and I'll see if I have one...I think I have two actually...a used one and a NOS one.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Neal. I'll let you know. It is the upper gear that's part of the capstan drive shaft.

Charlie

·
Chris Schick
173 Posts
Ron I was in agreement with you about the C45 engine. Anyway the gears are just as I suspected they would be. I have disassembled the gear system on several of these mowers and they all have had teeth missing or completely ground off. The gears should both be replaced because using a new gear with a worn out one that it mates with will cause problems. The auto mower system was not bad on that design but people didnt keep the system greased and clean and checked to see if the gears and shafts were not worn. They basically used the machines and when the self propelled didnt work anymore they trashed the machine or left it sit in the shed. I would recommend changing the bushings on the shaft and also new rollers too. When the drive system works it works very well...

Part numbers are as follows.

pulley belt rides on 678252
gear drive shaft and sleeve assembly 678251

sleeve and bearing assembly drive shaft 678782

roller left 677919
roller right 677918

Hope this helps.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks much for the info Chris. As I understand it, the upper gear is hard to come by and the pulley/lower gear is even harder.

The reason is said C46 on the motor is because that's what the LB Master Parts Viewer told me.

Again, thanks.

Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts