My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aspiring Gravely Fanatic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, need some help sorting through the details of putting a front drive on my 8183-T.

When I look at the manuals for the later rider front drive parts, the PTO appears to be driven by a telescoping drive shaft.

I have a compete front drive kit and all the parts are gravely red (meaning 800 series or later), but the PTO drive shaft is not telescopic. Will this drive shaft fit my 8000 series or do these tractors require the telescoping unit?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
You need both the male and female drive shafts for under the tractor. Since you have a short frame, you dont need the long male driveshaft and can get away with your mower deck male driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Aspiring Gravely Fanatic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what I have is in the pic below, minus the weldment and the ujoint. Are you saying that this driveshaft will not work on my tractor?

·
Gravely1964
3,817 Posts
You have a 400 drive shaft. 800's and 8000's and G's use the telescoping shaft. And a stub shaft and actual bearings in the front axle. Over the 400's use bushings

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
So what I have is in the pic below, minus the weldment and the ujoint. Are you saying that this driveshaft will not work on my tractor?

That's for a 400 series machine.

You want something like this

·
Registered
433 Posts
Along with the correct driveshaft, you will also need a stub shaft and bearings that mount into the large hole in the front axle. You will also need a short double joint shaft from the stub shaft to the drive unit. As far as I know all the 800/8000 series used drive shafts and stub shafts with 15 splines. But some of the early front drive units and snowblowers had 13 splines. So you might need a short double joint shaft with 15 on one side and 13 on the other. Neapco Products makes most of the parts needed in their 1000 series. But After you start adding them all up, the double joint shaft is five components, its just as well to fork the $ for a good used one.

·
Aspiring Gravely Fanatic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Along with the correct driveshaft, you will also need a stub shaft and bearings that mount into the large hole in the front axle. You will also need a short double joint shaft from the stub shaft to the drive unit. As far as I know all the 800/8000 series used drive shafts and stub shafts with 15 splines. But some of the early front drive units and snowblowers had 13 splines. So you might need a short double joint shaft with 15 on one side and 13 on the other. Neapco Products makes most of the parts needed in their 1000 series. But After you start adding them all up, the double joint shaft is five components, its just as well to fork the $ for a good used one.
Thanks for the information. I actually had most of the other parts you mention. I ordered the front PTO shaft and bearings from Richard. Also ordered the correct telescopic drive shaft mentioned from eBay above. Should have all the parts now.

Next question, can the front lift arm stay installed with the center mowing deck in place? I obviously understand that the drive shaft will have to be removed because it will hit the deck, but does the entire lift assembly have to be removed to use a belly mower as well? Without getting all the parts in yet, it looks like the lift rod might just clear my deck. Just curious.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Forgot to add you might need a different or modify you rear lift shaft/weldment. The part that attaches to your rock shaft. All the ones I've seen on a 800/8000 have a triangle "flag" that attaches to the rock shaft. That would be the center shaft in your photo. Made my own for about ten bucks. Some where here I posted the measurements. Would think you would have or want to remove the whole unit as it, and the belly mower share the same rock shaft. I always kept the front drive attached to whatever attachment I was using at the time. 40" mower, 30' brush hog. sickle mower ect. Removing the belly mower on a Gravely is very simple compared to other brands. Lower deck, detach and drive right over the deck. Do the reverse to install. Tip a couple of short 2"x4" helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
The lift arm would need to be removed before mounting the mower deck in order for the deck's mounts to fit upward into the receivers. The bar which acts as the deck's mounting pins runs across the front of the deck mount. Reattach after the deck is mounted? I don't know. You would have to check clearances under the tractor, but since the arm would already be removed anyway...

·
Aspiring Gravely Fanatic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, hit a snag in the road tonight with my dog gear. I thought I had the correct one, but after fitting the lift to the tractor and attempting to install my quick hitch adapter (much lighter than trying to wrestle an attachment into the garage for a fit check) it seems the one I have is too long. From the manuals, it looks like I need part 21343.

The part I have is pictured below. It’s a 15 spline dog gear, but not sure what part number it is. Given the asking price I have seen for the correct dog gear, I am now wondering if I can shorten this one to be the correct length. Thoughts?

My thinking is..... I can use calipers to measure the distance from the front of the four bolt mount to the front face of the dog gear on my C10A, then install my incorrect dog gear into my rider lift drive and take the same measurement. The difference in these two numbers would be the amount that needs to be removed from the back of the incorrect dog. Tough part will be getting an accurate cut. Thoughts?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Engine lathe? I really cannot answer but you should be able to find the right part # with an IPL. I'm not saying that the dog you have is rare or hard to find, but what if it is? And you spend the time and effort to modify it? Sometimes it easier to plow around the stump

·
Aspiring Gravely Fanatic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine lathe? I really cannot answer but you should be able to find the right part # with an IPL. I'm not saying that the dog you have is rare or hard to find, but what if it is? And you spend the time and effort to modify it? Sometimes it easier to plow around the stump
Well.... I did the deed.

I removed 0.8 inches from the dog shaft, then carefully filed it a little at a time to get the tolerance just right. Got the dog reinstalled and the quick hitch attached. Now all I need the the triangle shaped weldment rod (having one made), and I will be all set.

So next question..... can my 8183 lift “any” attachment? Is there a limit to ones it can or cannot lift. For example, I have a quick hitch power brush. That thing is freaking heavy. Will it lift? Don’t want to break anything, so looking for input before I go mess around with my various attachments...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good job. Your tractor model ends in a 3. So I guess It has a hydraulic lift. It should handle anything. But they did make a spring assist attachment. That I think was mainly meant for use with a manual lift. But it will help to distribute the weight with a front mounted attachment.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
The preferred way to run a power brush on the front of a rider is not with the front adapter kit and quick hitch. Rather, Gravely made a bracket for mounting the power brush to a rider that locks into the front latches and keeps it much closer for easier lifting.

·
Aspiring Gravely Fanatic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The preferred way to run a power brush on the front of a rider is not with the front adapter kit and quick hitch. Rather, Gravely made a bracket for mounting the power brush to a rider that locks into the front latches and keeps it much closer for easier lifting.

Don’t think I have seen this setup. Got a pic?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts