My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m hoping some people more familiar with these gravely mowers could help me with diagnosis. I have a gravely mower I believe it’s a 8000 series but not sure on the year, has 4 gears and a high low selector. The other day when mowing the forward clutch seemed to be not working properly after about 30 min of cutting, it would engage but the mower would be very slow to start moving. Reverse was okay at that time. I thought maybe the clutch was really hot or something like this.

Now mow, it did it the same the but worse, has stopped going forward, reverse kind of worked but then also stopped. You can kind of get it moving with a bit of a push but then any kind of load encounter will cause it to stop going forward. You can feel with the clutch engage like a cyclical forward motion like it’s trying to move but can’t.

I tried adjusting the clutch it didn’t make any difference. The axles keys are okay. Range selector position seems okay not in neutral. Not sure what the check next does any one have a suggestion? The only other thing that happened recently was I tried to drive it by accident with the brake on, not sure if that could be related.

·
Super Moderator
29,527 Posts
Welcome to MTF Kevin! Lots of info and great members here to lend their knowledge and assistance, enjoy the site! Here is some site navigation help in case you need it:

·
4,807 Posts
Hi Kevincotton and Welocme to My Tractor Forum...hang tight and someone should be along that can help yo get this straightened out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks! Couple other points to clarify. The forward clutch engages with the clutch plate on the transmission side okay and they both spin together with the lever engaged. When this happens and the wheels are off (like in my photo) the hubs very very slowly spin but any touch of them will stop the movement.

Oh and one more thing, I checked the trans fluid level, when I removed the check plug almost 2.5liters of oil came out. Must have been way over full.

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
Ok when you can stop the wheels. Do the clutch plates keep going? Or do they stop? Does the hydro lift work? Does the pto work. I can give you a good idea what going on from there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok when you can stop the wheels. Do the clutch plates keep going? Or do they stop? Does the hydro lift work? Does the pto work. I can give you a good idea what going on from there
Hi Steven thanks for the reply. When I stop the wheels clutches keeping going. Just a note the wheels are hardly moving, left axle moves very slow and right side does not at all anymore, if I hold the left side right side will turn.

Both hydro lift and PTO are working fine.

Couple other observations the brake drum turns when the forward clutch is engaged. Axle moves freely in neutral and has resistance when in gear as I would expect.

Essentially the sensation I’m seeing is similar to the trans being in neutral because the clutches engages but the power doesn’t go the axles, but I know it’s not in neutral from trying to manually turn the axle. So there’s some point where the power transfer is being lost from the shaft with the clutches to the axles but I don’t understand how the trans works to guess where this could be.

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
Only 2 thoughts I have are a hub keyway. Or is it in high or low range for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only 2 thoughts I have are a hub keyway. Or is it in high or low range for sure.
turns out one of the axles keys upon closer inspection was in two pieces and the hub damaged. I originally said it was okay because the hub and axle were turning fine together up in the air just really slowly. After playing around with the high low range selector and changing gears a few times the axles started moving faster as I would expect and that’s when I noticed the axle key. Picked a new one up for $1 but the hub keyway got damaged I noticed. I’ve welded and grinded to try to restore the shape we’ll see if it lasts. So far it’s okay. This was progress shot, hard to get in there with a mig really need a stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing can anyone tell me what model/year machine I have from these photos? I can’t find it anywhere on the machine. I do see a serial number.

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
8199, only one to use a B48Gb engine. Serial number tag on dash will tell you the year. Glad it was a simple fix!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts