My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So last weekend I got around to relining the brake band on my 818T. It worked out really well. I will try to explain how I went about it.

What you need to do it: Grinder, file, wire wheel, JB Weld, and about 10 inches of Woven brake band material 1" wide by about 3/16" thick. I was able to by some woven material called "Green Grabber" from my local auto-machine shop. If you cannot find it locally, McMaster Carr sells it. Make sure it is woven though as the other kind is way too stiff to bend around the drum.

My method was as follows:

1. Jack up the tractor and remove the right rear wheel (no photos exist to prove that I did not do this...although smart folks would take it off).

2. Remove the old band and lining.

Now your drum probably looks like this:

DrumBefore.JPG

3. Start your tractor and engage any forward gear. Gently use your grinder to take off the ridges and high spots. Next, use a sharp file to smooth it all out. With any luck it will end up looking like this:
DrumAfter.JPG

4. Clean up your brake band with a wire wheel. Cut the new lining material so it covers most of the lining surface. Apply JB Weld liberally over all the contact area, and then fit the lining to it. Reinstall the band/lining, and clamp down so it can harden. With luck it will look like this:
Finished.JPG

Afterwards I removed it, ground off the excess JB and painted it. It seems to have worked out fine. If I have any trouble I will post. All in all...it cost me $10 and about 1 hr of my time.

Jack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Wow, thanks for the nice howto, Jack! And BTW, :Welcome1:

I'm going to need to fix the brakes on my 812 soon, and that sounds like the procedure to use.

Where in mass are you? It seems we have a pretty good population of gravely fans around here.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Jack, great tip and pics. I was wondering how to get around the high price for a brake setup( around 80 bucks). Never thought of using McMaster-Carr. They seem to have everything. I'm going to have to order some for my 18G. The lining is getting pretty thin.

By the way,:MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Very resourceful... and nice write-up/pics.

Thanks! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The material I used was approximately 3/16" but 0.125" would certainly work. A little thicker might give you longer life...but I can't see it wearing out all that quickly. I would be willing to bet mine was the original lining.

Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts