My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, all -

A fellow gravely enthusiast not far from me is marketing a complete steering brake set, removed from either an 800 or 8000 series tractor (I wasn't aware the 800's even had steering brakes available). My question is whether the brake system would be compatible with the 20-G I have? If not, I may make an offer on the system anyway, and look to install it on an 8000 series Onan rider I picked up a few months ago. Thanks for the assistance in advance!

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Short answer is no to bolting on a G. Taper axle for hubs vs straight axles on 8000's and older. Is the deal breaker. Granted just need the newer steering brake hubs

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still might take a shot at the brake set - given they'll bolt up to the 8000 series. Will they also work with the 800's and 400 series riders?

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
I still might take a shot at the brake set - given they'll bolt up to the 8000 series. Will they also work with the 800's and 400 series riders?
800 8000 yes. All 400's have steering brakes stock. Actually never looked if axles are the same diameter in the 4 and 800's

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
The steering brakes on 800 and 8000 series tractors and early G tractors are band brakes, commonly activated by heal pedals at the rear of the foot board.

After the change to the left side brake and right side foot control on G series tractors, the steering brakes became drum brakes with dual left pedals:

What year is your 20-G?

Sheldon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts