My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a #80 Dump Cart.:trink40: I plan to restore it and have a few questions.

Based on other threads I have found in this forum, the serial # E0900 020246M on the "Brass Tag" indicates 1968 vintage. Is this true?

The tires are 16 x 6.5 x 8. Are these the "narrow" tires I have read about?

I have also read about JD Green paint changing over the years. Is this true and is there anyway to find the proper paint for this cart. I will most likely paint at my shop with the two part epoxy that we use on our machines.

Thanks in advance, here are the required pic's.

Attachments

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Wow. That is a beautiful 80 cart. It even has the green tongue!

If it were mine, I don't think I would repaint it. Having it all original like that makes it nicer in my book.

But if you do repaint, I recently posted this info in another thread about JD paint/colors:

I agree, it might be hard to match if the other paint is faded.

But, what you want, color-wise, is the newer, brighter green that JD offers. It's called "Agricultural/Commercial & Consumer Equipment", not to be confused with the earlier "Classic" green.

The JD part no. is "TY25624 -- Ag/C&CE Green" for the 12 oz rattle can.

Rustoleum offers a line of paint called "Specialty Farm Equipment", with an exact color match. The part no. for their 12 oz rattle can is "7435830 -- John Deere Green."

I have bene using both recently, and have found the Rustoleum is preferable in a number of ways. But I don't have a spray booth. Also, I've read where some say the Rustoleum is tougher/more durable, but the JD paint better resists fading due to UV exposure. Time will tell, I guess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with the current paint is that someone painted the sides and painted over the "John Deere" on the sides.:banghead3 I can see the outline of the decals through the paint.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
The problem with the current paint is that someone painted the sides and painted over the "John Deere" on the sides.:banghead3 I can see the outline of the decals through the paint.
Oh nuts!

Then it's the Ag/C&CE Green that you want.

Don't let anyone tell you you need "classic green" (as my dealer told me). The darker "classic" green is for earlier (pre-1962) equipment, but is not correct for any of the residential lawn/garden tractors, implements, trailers, etc.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The narrow tire's would have been the 4.00-4.80x8 the one's you have are the orig. Goodyear's am not sure you can date these cart's by the ser. # but the four leg Deere on the tailgate would indicate 68 or earlier. BILL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks identical to mine!!!! I'm going to hafta look at my brass tag and see what it says!!! I know I have those same tires as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been wanting to get mine restored and after reading about them it makes me curious, why wouldn't I want to?? As some of you suggest not restoring it. I do still use it, but if it were restored I wouldn't. By not using it, I'd avoid the risk of it ever getting damaged and losing value. BTW: The John Deere decals on the side of mine aren't painted over, I'm 99% sure it's completely original. I paid $80 for it about 10yrs ago. I'll try to get some pics of it this wkd and put them up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even after restoration I will be using mine. Light work but will use it. I plan on putting some sort of liner in it. If I paint it with the two part epoxy it will last a very long time. Use em don't abuse em.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have restored 3 brass tag 80 carts. The first one was a nightmare when I was done I sold it. I have two left I use one of them all the time. The paint you need is Ag/C&CE Green and the decals is where you'll have to decide if you want original decals or copies. The copies are much cheaper and look just ok. After I spent as much time restoring my carts I went with the original decals ordered from JD.
He is a sheet on serial numbers and series 80 carts.

Here is some info on the carts from JDs product identification guide.This is correct that on some it would be hard to determine what year it was made. This is the only chart I can find.
Brass tags-1964-1968-- Aluminum tags-1969-1972--- Sticker tags-1975-1988

chart

E 0080 0933 80 CART 1964-68

E 901 0933 80 CART 1970-88

E 900 0933 80 CART 1968-69---WHITE 1970-1971

E 0971 0933 80 CART 1970-72

My carts - E 0080--012787M and E 0080-0120063M

I also went with the bigger tires and added the nobby tires I get a lot less flats with them.

Here is the last one I did not yet put back together but a before and after picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is my brass tag 80 dump cart I bought last fall. It has the narrow tires that the very early models had. Based upon the serial number, I think it's probably a 1965 model.

Vehicle Cart

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
They were thinking that was the original paint when they recommended not to repaint.....
Exactly. I take it back now that I've learned it's not original. And this thread has shown how nice they can be after a proper restoration.

Here is my brass tag 80 dump cart I bought last fall. It has the narrow tires that the very early models had. Based upon the serial number, I think it's probably a 1965 model.

View attachment 196801

Nice! That would go nicely with my '66 110. Let me know when you're ready to sell. :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone tell me if the HAPCO decals are any good or representitive of the time period? They look good on the web page.

·
Super Moderator
39,210 Posts
Very nice 80 cart and the tailgate looks in good order which is where most have problems! Yep, paint it up and make it look good and it'll last another 40+ years!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
#This was going on unseen for years on Nephews # 80 trailer.
Of course KATT let it go cause a little RUSTY doesn't bother KATT :howdy:

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note: this is a 1986 model #80 by then the lowers frame was JD Black.

Just repainted the bottom ( you can see all the little dents) and touched-uped the rest and polished it ! ( It going right back to work @ nephews this Spring)

·
Registered
716 Posts

View attachment 196801

That looks like a great find
Man that should be at my shop, I want a brass tag one but just
have not found one yet

O well I do have a lot of other tractor things to play with:fing32:

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Boy !! he did a great find!! I would like an older one like that big time !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts