My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its the time of year , several people are wanting me to Till there garden spots , like I did last year.
Last year I did the job with my Bolens , I sold the Bolens to a man in NY, on E-Bay.
My question , What type , what size , What anything !!? do I need for my 8 N. I would like to Till there gardens, I enjoyed that.
Thanks in advance , your advise is appriciated

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
drbailey said:
Its the time of year , several people are wanting me to Till there garden spots , like I did last year.
Last year I did the job with my Bolens , I sold the Bolens to a man in NY, on E-Bay.
My question , What type , what size , What anything !!? do I need for my 8 N. I would like to Till there gardens, I enjoyed that.
Thanks in advance , your advise is appriciated
How many pto hp does your tractor have? I know i would want a tiller at least wide enough to cover both wheels. I have looked at the king Kutters at TSC and they look heavy duty to me.

Durwood

·
Banned
109 Posts
drbailey

There are conflicting opinions as to where a 8n is suitable for a PTO driven rotor tiller. Most say it is not geared low enough for this type tiller and recommend a turning plow. My suggestion is to see if you can borrow a tiller to try before making your purchase.

This is a WAG on my part but I don’t think that your 8n, if it will rotor tiller, will only handle but about a 4 footer.

Two 14 inch turning plows is what your 8n was designed for and will make quick work of “breaking up” small garden plots. The draw back to this is, as opposed to a PTO driven rotor tiller, the plot will need a going over with smoothing harrow after being “broke up”.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Hey, DrB...

I don't do any custom garden work, but I DO work up my own garden with my 8N. I don't have and have never tried a rototiller... my 6' 3-point-hitch disk works GREAT for me (I don't have and have never used a turning plow on my spot, either). Using JUST a disk it'll take more passes to get a good deep seedbed, but (depending on your soil type, of course) you SHOULD be able to accomplish this with a disk on your 8N...

HTH
Steve

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys , I`m reading and takeing it all in , I`ll ask Ken about the horse power or look on Smiths tractor site.
Also I`ll check back in after work this evening.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Men , I got the facts , and I understand. It would have been fun tilling with the N , I will do it a differant way and still have fun , :fing02: Thanks to all , I appriciate your help and advice .

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
All I ever use anymore is my 6' disk...as a matter of fact I've put my 2-14 Dearborn plow up for sale. A disk will give you about as fine a seedbed as you will ever see.

·
3,101 Posts
Argee said:
All I ever use anymore is my 6' disk...as a matter of fact I've put my 2-14 Dearborn plow up for sale. A disk will give you about as fine a seedbed as you will ever see.
It is hard for me to believe that a disk would work the ground deep enough for a seedbed on ground that has never been plowed. I can understand it working good on ground that has been plowed before. I wonder if a chisel plow with a disc would work good on unplowed ground? BTW, one year i put black plastic down in my garden and punched holes in it to put the plants in. The next year when i pulled the plastic up to work the ground it was unbelievable how soft the ground was. About could have used a hand rake to work it.

Durwood

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Durwood , the garden spots that I need to do were tilled deep last year with my bolens and tiller. Its not to bad this year. Remember , I live in Ozark Mountain range in Arkansas . Our best crop is Rocks. LoL , I`ll post a pic

Attachments

·
Banned
109 Posts
drbailey said:
........... Our best crop is Rocks. LoL , I`ll post a pic
Funny thing about rock. Most folks that’s got'em will pay to git rid of'em. Most Folks that ain't got'em will pay to get'em. ------ Pity they are so heavy, else a fellow could make a fortune.:)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I love rocks

john-in-ga said:
Funny thing about rock. Most folks that’s got'em will pay to git rid of'em. Most Folks that ain't got'em will pay to get'em. ------ Pity they are so heavy, else a fellow could make a fortune.:)
I sell rocks all the time. The farm I bought it the hills has a gravel pit and I never come down off the hill empty. The place has creek run gravel and flagstone, and I make piles at my farm close to home. The big rocks I sell with delivery and placement. The local nurseries get big money for the same service so by keeping my prices reasonable I get quite a bit of business. This year I am palletizing the flag stone and selling it that way.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Durwood said:
It is hard for me to believe that a disk would work the ground deep enough for a seedbed on ground that has never been plowed.
Durwood
It's all done by the angle of the disks. The more angle, the more radical the cut. Granted you'll have to make several passes over a few days but the results will be staggering.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Free Advise

If you are reworking your beds with a tiller after the season remove all the vines! Unless you like cutting them off the tiller. Ask me how I know that.

·
3,101 Posts
Argee said:
It's all done by the angle of the disks. The more angle, the more radical the cut. Granted you'll have to make several passes over a few days but the results will be staggering.
I can see where that would make sense now Argee and thank you for clarifieing that. I learn something here everyday. :fing02:

Durwood

·
3,101 Posts
drbailey said:
Durwood , the garden spots that I need to do were tilled deep last year with my bolens and tiller. Its not to bad this year. Remember , I live in Ozark Mountain range in Arkansas . Our best crop is Rocks. LoL , I`ll post a pic
You have a banner crop of rocks it seems Dr. B. :fing20: It looks like a lot of work to get a garden ready down there, but hey....better you than me. :fing02:
Seriously, good luck with it but i don't think my old back could take it anymore. I remember working for a guy hauling rocks out of a field when i was a young kid. They weren't very big ones though and i got paid by the 5 gallon bucketful.

Durwood

1 - 20 of 29 Posts