My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi...first post intro post. I am looking at moving up from Sear's lawn tractor. I have a 25 HP with wheel weights and chains and I have over used (abused?) for a number of years and time to look at something more capable.

I have two properties...our home with 80 acres of woods...small rough field that I mow once a year...that is what seems to do in the Sears. Also have a number of trails that I mow and want to do some brush work.

Second property is 40 acres of woods I just purchased. logged about 10-15 years ago and has a variety of pine and brush growing. I plan on working on a woodlands plan with a variety of tree plantings, etc. Some trail work and some brushing.

Beside my 2-3 acre "rough" field I have little pure open mowing land. Also, would like to try post hole digging with attachment...and snow blowing a moderate size "U" driveway.

I do tend to push equipment as evidence by all the bent front end parts and three new decks on my Sears.

A neighbor has a 3320 w/cab/FEL/snow blower/3PT hitch mower deck with 900 HRs and wants about $30K. First, I think he is a bit high...second I think that is more than I "need"? Also, not sure at what point the bigger frame becomes a hinderance as I use in the woods??

With the "bigger is better" theme :)...what choices might fit my needs??

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
First - :MTF_wel:

You are the right place to get good advice. About all I can say is that you will not be disappointed with at least a 2305 or more going from any kind of Sears lawn tractor. Not that they're not good, but you will get into a real tractor with JD! Others here will chime in soon, but from what I have read here over the years, sounds like to me, maybe a 2520 would be good. But, wait to hear from real pros here. Picframer, Team Green, JDFanatic, slpk, etc., those guys (and many more I fail to mention :sorry1: guys) really know their stuff. I'm just a real tractor wannabe! Anyway, welcome!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just spoke with local JD dealer salesman. Dealer and salesman have a good reputation.

First...says he could sell me a new 3320 w/the same attachments for the $30K that neighbors is asking for his 900 hr used unit.

Second...he recommends the 3xxx series for my use due to extra frame strength. Says loader is stronger and generally would be a better choice for my apps...also mentioned that a cab can be a hinderance in the woods...which is where I will be much of the time.

Comments? I plan on visiting the dealership next week...they have over 20 JDs in stock...7xx/2xxx/3xxx/and bigger. Also, could view some of the attachments.

Comments?

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN...cold up here today

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
You're on the right track, there, Tom! That's about all I can say; not much help, I'm afraid, but, hey, it is fun to try to spend someone else's $$! Keep us posted, and let us know what you get. And, remember, when you do get it :wwp:

Hot here, still in 90s!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're on the right track, there, Tom! That's about all I can say; not much help, I'm afraid, but, hey, it is fun to try to spend someone else's $$! Keep us posted, and let us know what you get. And, remember, when you do get it :wwp:

Hot here, still in 90s!
Thanks...I have a sister in Hattiesburg (sp?) high of 60 today here light rain and 25 mph wind...a bit chilly...but that season is coming :) Tom R

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Based on what you stated, it sounds like you have a lot of projects you may get into with all of your land. I'm assuming the following attachments may be of interest: Mid-Mount Mower, Rotary Mower, Snowblower/Snowblade, Box Blade maybe? Both the X700 Series and 2305 will handle all of these attachments. The 2305 comes standard with a 3pt hitch and rear PTO, while you would have to pay extra to have them added to the X700 Series.

In your situation, these are some pros and cons you may have to evaluate:

X700 Pros:
Undeniable Comfort and Ergonomics
Hydraulic Oil Cooler by Radiator
Made in USA

2305 Pros:
Lower Cost if 3pt hitch and/or rear PTO are needed
Higher Loader Capacity than X700's
High/Low Range Transaxle

X700 Cons:
Higher Cost if you need 3pt hitch and/or rear PTO

2305 Cons:
Hydro Cooling Fan (high repair cost)

Both tractors are great! Go test drive them and see which one feels better to you!

It sounds like you may be dealing with a lot of potentially rough areas and brush. Something else you may want to take into consideration is that some people have issues with the hydro cooling fan breaking on the 2305 due to sticks and brush getting lodged in it. While it may seem like something simple, it's a very time consuming task to replace and very expensive if you have to have a dealer do it. There are guards sold to help prevent this - you can find them on eBay.

I'm personally eager to see JD unveil the replacement tractors for the 2305 in 2011. I like the styling of it and I have heard that they may not have the plastic hydro cooling fan.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am not sure what your budget is, but I would like at the 2520 or 2720 machines. I just bought a 2520 and it is an amazing machine, seems very capable for its size. I choose it over the 2305 because of the added ground clearance and full 3pt lift height. I think it would work well with what you are planning on doing.

BTW, for what its worth, I also considered a Kubota B3030 with a cab but elected not to get one with a cab because of the clearance issues. I mow around some trees and brush and can see where a cab would become a problem. Sometimes having a machine too big can be as much of a problem as one too small.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
That is a LOT of property, with what sounds like rough conditions and quite a bit of work to be done in the woods. I am a big fan of the X700 series, but I really think it's not enough for your purposes.

Hopefully folks with real experience in the bigger CUTs will start chiming in, but some of those folks might skip this thread because of the title. MTF member "Picframer" (Andy) is getting ready for a hurricane in Nova Scotia -- but he'll probably see this thread eventually. He has first hand experience with many of these units, and spends a lot of time in the woods with them. I would put a lot of stock in his advice.

But from what I've read here, you will want the ground clearance and power of something bigger. At a minimum, a larger 2000 series, or better yet the 3000 series. Sounds like your dealer is steering you in the right direction.

Best of luck, and welcome to MTF!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John Deere home page has some really good information about the size tractor suited for your uses. Here is the link, just fill out requested information and they will recommend the right size tractor for you. BTW, welcome to MTF!
:fing32: http://productselector.deere.com/CustomerTool/NACutsHomeServlet?targetMarket=HO
As I fill out "uses" it points me to larger and larger JDs :) Not sure how to define "use" in the woods...cleaning up, moving, etc...along with trail work and some rough mowing.

Maybe the 3xxx series makes sense...I see there is a crossover with the 4xxx series. I do need to go look and talk with dealer...Tom R

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
2520 or 2570, in my experience you will never regret it. The 3320 has a lot more clearance in the woods which is what we mainly use it for, IMO too heavy for mowing and the loader does not come off, at least easily. I guess if finances allow a 3320 and a cheap rider mower would prove to be ideal.

The 2520/2570 never seem to lack power, the advantage of the 3320 is it's weight, throw a box blade on the thing and look out.....or if you need to tow around close to 8,000 pounds....I can attest it plays with it:)

Then again I have well over 200 hours of seat time on the 2520 with the box blade and it always gets the job done, no worries.

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
With the amount of ground you have and everything that you will do and things you haven't planned on yet I would be looking at a 3320 or larger and have a separate tractor for mowing and snow blowing with a cab in your neck of the woods. slkpk

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
As I fill out "uses" it points me to larger and larger JDs :) Not sure how to define "use" in the woods...cleaning up, moving, etc...along with trail work and some rough mowing.

Maybe the 3xxx series makes sense...I see there is a crossover with the 4xxx series. I do need to go look and talk with dealer...Tom R
IMO, I think the 3xxx series is your sweet spot.:fing32:

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
2305 Cons:
Hydro Cooling Fan (high repair cost)
There is a $100 solution to this problem. There is a fellow on EBay who sells a guard for the 2305. PM me and I will send his email address.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Hi...first post intro post. I am looking at moving up from Sear's lawn tractor. I have a 25 HP with wheel weights and chains and I have over used (abused?) for a number of years and time to look at something more capable.

I have two properties...our home with 80 acres of woods...small rough field that I mow once a year...that is what seems to do in the Sears. Also have a number of trails that I mow and want to do some brush work.

Second property is 40 acres of woods I just purchased. logged about 10-15 years ago and has a variety of pine and brush growing. I plan on working on a woodlands plan with a variety of tree plantings, etc. Some trail work and some brushing.

Beside my 2-3 acre "rough" field I have little pure open mowing land. Also, would like to try post hole digging with attachment...and snow blowing a moderate size "U" driveway.

I do tend to push equipment as evidence by all the bent front end parts and three new decks on my Sears.

A neighbor has a 3320 w/cab/FEL/snow blower/3PT hitch mower deck with 900 HRs and wants about $30K. First, I think he is a bit high...second I think that is more than I "need"? Also, not sure at what point the bigger frame becomes a hinderance as I use in the woods??

With the "bigger is better" theme :)...what choices might fit my needs??

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

Cab adds quite a few thousand to the price of a new 3320. I paid 29K for my 3320 in late 2006 with a 448 Backhoe (the most pricey implement for these machines) the 300X loader and the 60" 7-Iron deck. I did not go with a cab as it would not fit in my garage at all. Cab was from what I recall 5 or 7 grand more and it's not something you can install after the fact (not the JD cab anyway! Laurin INC. does make a cab almost as nice as the OEM and you can install it yourself, has full heat and AC).

I put 235 hours on my 3320 and sold it last year for 25 grand. I was asking 30 but sort of figured 25 was the magic number to move it.

Absolutely fantastic machine for doing real heavy work, it takes a real backhoe that will do real digging, you don't have to worry about the backhoe breaking the machine (though I'm sure some operators could break anything). I did not have the same issue as Andy with removal of the Front End Loader. I could drop my FEL and Backhoe, without any tools other than a clean rag to wipe up the little bit of fluid you get out of the couplers, and it took less than five minutes to drop both implements.

I can also attest to it's pulling power. I have a steep driveway and I routinely pulled my 10,000LB Express Cruiser boat, up the driveway, down the road and back down around the back of the house and it never complained.

With the implements off and a MMM it really handles like a "BIG" lawn mower, but even with everything off the machine except the MMM you're looking at 3000lbs curb weight, so it's not real gentle on the ground.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I can also attest to it's pulling power. I have a steep driveway and I routinely pulled my 10,000LB Express Cruiser boat, up the driveway, down the road and back down around the back of the house and it never complained.
And that was probably C range...lol I pulled the 27D excavator around later this evening as I am positioning everything in an open area on the property, I knew it had pulling power but I was shocked, I have a good grade in my driveway and at 2,000 rpm in C range it just went along, I couldn't believe it. I have the 50D home, may try it after this storm just for the fun of it, would be pulling in the 13,500 range.

Then again I did a box blade job with it a couple of days ago, really compacted, OMG the sounds coming out of the BB as I have about 600 pounds of weight on it made me wonder what the heck was going on.

I didn't realize you could get a loader release option on the 3320, we have it on the 3720....this was a base model tractor as I only wanted a loader, loaded tires for work in the woods, I wish I would have added a few things to it that I am really missing that I have on the 2520.

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Tom,

I'm thinking if you want to stick to one model you will have to allow for some compromises. 120 acres is a lot. The 2520/2720 will do all you want with a more maneuverable footprint, but the 3x20 tractors are more of the size I imagine you needing. If I were you, I'd have the dealer down to your properties and get their gut-feel. Then post the results here. I think the X, although deluxe all the way, is too small for your needs.

Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
In your position I'd go with the 3X20 series. You won't be disappointed.

This research period you are in is a fun time. Enjoy it and learn as much as you can.

Look forward to hearing about your decision. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts