My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Engineer
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a nice 1979 Case 446 with a 48 inch deck and 3 point hitch.

If anyone has experiences with why I should, or should not, buy this machine, please let me know asap.

I currently have a small IH 123 hydrostatic, which is very smooth in speed control, I can select very low thru maximum speed easily. The Case seems to have a more coarse speed control, is this just the difference between a hydrostatic and a hydraulic drive, or maybe there are issues with the Case?

The Case also has "retarder" marked on the speed contril, to slow down when going downhill, is this standard or an assessory? I tried this out on a hill and it works OK

Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Well...... you are on a forum that is dedicated to the Case, Colt and Ingersoll tractors so I hardly think that anyone here is going to tell you not to buy this tractor, do you?

It's a decision that only you can make. You either like what a Case has to offer or you don't. There is a difference between hydraulic and hydrostatic drive but perhaps the tractor you looked at has linkage issues.

All Case tractors have the retard spot on the travel lever.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
No, the holding valve is so you do not free wheel down a hill and negates the need of the retard feature.

You can buy these on ebay as an add on feature, but make sure you get the lines with it, or you can also buy a newer style travel control valve that has the holding valve built into it (1985 and newer) but expect to pay $200.00 + the lines for it.

However if you don't have any big hills then I wouldn't waste your money and just use the retard feature when needed.

I have big hills and although I have mowed all these years with getting by on just the retard feature I am now using a 448 with the valve and two 446's with it (the 448 came with it as did one 446's the other I added myself).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts