My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall... Got a 782 cub cadet with the infamous kohler kt17 s1 in it. I am getting alot of missfire and caughing and suck. Oily smoke on startup/ thinking of a rebuild. **** good tractor. I can tell you that, but the fricken engine is prone to rod tossing. I live in ohio farm country which is flat as a pankake here so hills arnt an issue for lubrication. Anyway anyone ever had luck with the s-1 in a rebuild? If i did do one id check the crank and install new rods. Idk anybody think i should just wait and see if i can find an onan or mag 18? Or rebuild the kt17 and hope for another 20 sum years? I use it mainly in the winter for plowing so the hea isnt such a concern on the engine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had basically the same issues at the beginning of this season with my Series 1 KT17 782. I put new points and condensor in and took out the walbro carb and replaced it with an adjustable carb. The thing has been top-notch ever since. Don't know if that's the problem with yours, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I thought I'd have to rebuild or replace at the time and was told that rebuild of those probably wasn't worth it for what a used Mag 18 could be had for. But, like I said, luckily it didn't come to that for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You could probably spen $4 or$5 hundred rebuilding your KT17 and what have you got? A KT17 series 1. Unless you have an affinity for keeping this tractor original. Consider a 18 or20 h.p. Honda v twin. OH valve, pressure lube, extremely quiet, and loads of dependability and longevity. If you go to www.farmallcub.com they have thread there with step by step instructions to install a Honda in a Wide Frame C.C. I'm just finishing up a swap from a Kt17 to a Honda in an Ariens GT17

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm not sure you can even get the replacement parts to rebuild it. Cub used to not list replacement parts for it but now they are showing them. I know they are now the same part numbers as the series 2 parts so they might have modified the parts to work on the series 1 engines. The parts used to not be interchangeable.

If it were me, I would replace it with a series 2 or a mag.

AJ

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
I would start looking for either a good used Kohler Command series or a Mag18/20 to drop in it. Hondas are nice, but you wont like costs to repair things like carb ect when the time comes, makes Onans look cheap! Hondas also have a tendency to overheat with the side panels installed. The Kohler Command series isnt much more if you shop around, even for a new one. Horse power output is up to you, stay close to the same or bump her up to 20+ hp if you want. The OHV Vtwins are more effecient than any flat twin by design. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think ill see if i can find a command in need of a rebuild or something like that, I like the kohler kt17 it runs good when it does, and is built heavy. O well maybe ill just do the points coil valves and carb overhaul and hope for the best, thanks I do not have or want to spend thousands for a honda. That is rediculous, so maybe an onan or kohler magnum 18-20 or command. Thanks

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Go for a Kohler, Onan is out of business, now owned by Cummins and only parts are avaliable, no new engines. Onan parts are very expensive. Kohler parts, while not cheap, are fairly plentiful. Give the old series 1 a good going over, check your crankshaft seals, degrease the block, espicaly the flywheel side of the jugs and keep running her, on flat surfaces. Running sideways on inclines is almost instant death to a series 1. Watch Craigslist for old junk Craftsmans, many of them had horizontal crankshaft Kohler Mag and series 2 engines, sometimes you can get the whole tractor for less than buying just an engine, many times under $500. Then you can part out the remains and keep the engine. Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts