My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 1976 SS18 with a factory 3-pt hitch installed. I had an opportunity to buy a Cat-0, 3-Pt. Gannon roll over box scraper today but after taking measurements it was clear it wouldn't mate up to the 3 point hitch on my Suburban without significant modifications. I did some research and it seems to me that Cat-0 hitches should have a lift bar spacing of about 20" and the Suburban is only about 12. Heck the inside spacing of the rear tires is only 19" or thereabouts. My question is, what do you folks do to install category 0 implements?, e.g. do you steer clear of anything not made specifically for the Suburban or do you modify the implements or install some sort of an adapter kit or lastly and most likely, I just don't have a clue :)

Any education would be greatly appreciated.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
I think the implement you have is not cat 0, almost all cat 0 will fit a sears cat 0 3pt.

from my knowledge the cat 0, cat1, etc is all standard so a cat 0 on a JD is the same as a cat 0 on a sears for ability to connect to cat 0 implements.

But that's from my knowledge anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTTM, Thanks for the reply. I realize that all CAT-0 implements are standard, the issue is that the 3-Pt. hitch which came with the Suburbans isn't. The Lifting Arms are only spaced at 12" and all Cat-0 implements are 20". Since the tractor itself only has about 19" of clearance between the rear tires I am wondering how folks modify the smaller suburban hitch or how they install a standard cat-0 3-pt hitch instead.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey all, I attached a pic of the Gannon on the ground behind my Suburban. You can see where the Suburban lift bars are in relation to the lift hinges on the box scraper. Like I mentioned, the Box Scraper is Cat 0, so about 20" between the lift pins and the Suburban is about 12"....I can spread the lift bars on the suburban a bit wider but not nearly enough. Just wondering how you folks get around this or if you just stick with Suburban only attachments.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
the sears 3pt will only work with sears implaments.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
hmm, well. I'm not sure how others would do it but I know how I would do it.

I would take a metal rod put it through the attachment points on the box blade while connecting the 3pt via the rod, secure each end that stick outs so it won't shift back and forth, than spread the 3pt arms to the desired width and than secure them in place.

just my idea on how to solve it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SmallFry,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like you moved the lift hinges on the scraper over to line up with the Sears 3pt and probably lengthened the center hitch too. I was concerned that this would make the scraper more difficult to manage. How is it to lift and lower that scraper with your setup using the manual lift?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I didn't change anything. Cannon made them to fit the Sears, like mine, they also made the cat 0 like yours. If you look the mounts are welded to a piece of angle. That way it was easy for them to make them fit different hitches.

It's a little hard to lift, but do-a-ble...lol

I could take some better picture and give you the measurements if you want.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SmallFry, that makes sense. I won't need the measurements I was just curious as to what folks did to make some of this stuff fit a Suburban....I thought Maybe there would be a 3pt. adapter of some sort but I reckon it's down to modifying the implements or finding a Gannon like you have which was made for the Suburban which I would imagine are quite rare.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you don't weld, just get out the phone book and find someone that does. It's worth it to have it made to fit, because they are hard to come by.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
If you add the brackets for the sears hitch and leave the other ones alone, it could be used on either. That way if you get a bigger tractor or try to sell it someday you can't lose. Ed

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I know what I need to do....Just wondering if you guys have run across these before and could let me know what you think a fair price would be for one of these box scrapers in good condition?

Thanks!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
ive seen the sears ones go for $300+

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It's not uncommon for these (yours or mine) to bring $500, in good condition. They are a heavy duty tool made to last.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts