My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7400 with a powerquad trans that has developed a noise in 3 of the 4 forward gears. Started in 2nd and only under load, but now does it without load. 1st and 3rd same noise not as bad. No noise in 4th, does it in all ranges. The noise is higher pitched, as if a shim between 2 gears were gone and they were rubbing together. I changed trans. fluid and filters, no change. Split tractor and replaced input planetary and necessary updated parts, no change. My dilema is that I have a 7810 w/powerquad with the exact problem and I have no idea how to isolate the noise. Does anyone know what this might be?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Does rpm or oil temperature make a difference in noise? Does transmission operate normally? No slippage? In some cases the clutch cable transfers noise into cab. A special dampened cable is available to alleviate that.
CLUTCH CABLE KITS For POWRQUAD Transmissions

RE165952 - 72/7400 72/7400 without Creeper

RE165953 - 72/7400 72/7410 with Creeper

RE165954 - 76/77/7800, 76/77/7810 without Creeper

RE165955 - 76/77/7800, 76/77/7810 with Creeper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is worse at higher rpms, but oil temperature does not seem to matter. Very pronounced under a heavy load, to the point that we do not use 2nd gear when working the tractor. Tractor has 6500 hrs. on it, I didn't notice the noise at all 1000 hrs. ago. If the clutch cable is transfering noise would it be heard in all 4 forward gears? Is there any way of eliminating the clutch cable as a possibility other than replacing it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problems with slippage. I did notice when I was in the transmission that the hub that engages the clutch discs in the c4 clutch drum showed signs of overheating, but the clutch discs did not appear damaged or discolored.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts