My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
All rare weights to keep an eye out for. So very good for traction.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,663 Posts
Those weights are a nice setup, Lance.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Those weights are a nice setup, Lance.
Im sure most of us know what a pita it can be to mount weights after the wheel is on the tractor, this is way easier, I use the floor jack to hold the tractor at the right height, roll the tire up to the hub and put the bolts in. I got about 6" of snow last friday and it worked well enough. I may someday load the ATVs because I use this rig to drag other tractors around but its not really neccesary for pushing snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks guy's! Those drawings will come in handy vtx, and I get why the blade shouldn't be locked...could cause a sudden stop lol, I was just thinking it might be handy if I'm pushing gravel around in the summer. A neighbor brought me some tire chains over yesterday and can't remember where they came from, after looking at them I'm sure they were from my tractor and his son borrowed them about 15yrs. ago. Another find is 2 solid steel 4"x 4" x 21" bars that gotta weigh 100lb each. I was thinking of mounting one on the back for weight, if I could cut them down drill and tap some holes I could mount one in place of the rear hitch plate. The blade I have looks very close to the 990 original only looks like someone modified it for something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I hate chains... seen alot of tractors come in with the wheel hubs and axle ends beat to crap... in fact thats the reason I had to swap out the transaxle on the Columbia. ATV tires go on every tractor I intend to use in the winter except the RaM.. I put AGs on it just because they look good.

Had the Columbia out playing in the snow today to clear a path for the JD110, I had left it out last friday when we got about 6" so I wanted to pull it in the shop to thaw out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You can find used ATV tires in near new condition cheap because people like to upgrade the tires on their new quads... my Duros on the Columbia costs $40 for the pair and are 25" x 10.5" so I put 18" on the front so the tractor is level with an extra inch of ground clearance. I also have some Kenda Bear Claws on my Ford, paid $100 for them, ATV tires are designed to work in snow and they do very well... chains are certainly better on glare ice but the ATV will still get the job done with alot less wear and tear on the tractor and they ride alot nicer

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have about an inch of hard packed snow/ice over the gravel driveway so Ive been dragging the springtine harrows around to speedup the spring melting process.... and no chains reqiured;)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Put some new rear rubber on the Columbia today, 270/60R x 12(25x11x12)... Carlisle Badlands XTR, still have the IH weights(25#) on the inside and the Case weights(56#) on the outside but the wider rim allows me to put hubcaps on aswell... now I need to flip the front wheels inside out so I can have hubcaps on the front to match..... I like the hubcaps because they keep the snow from packing into the wheels and then melting on the dirt floor.... so as long as I get them done by next winter Im good.Lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
That tractor looks like a beast!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Had some extra suitcase weights laying around the shop for a couple years so I got creative today and added them to the Columbia.... still need to paint them but I wanted to do test fit first and make sure they wouldnt interfere with the cultivator and 3pt....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Looks ready to tear up some dirt. Post some pics when you break ground with it. I'd like to hear about how well it digs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
That’s a sweet cultivator. How many implements do you have for you tractor?
Thx... ya that is a sweet cultivator... 5 x 6" shovels on it dig up more ground faster than the tiller or 10" plough ever could so I sold both of those... but I still have several mower decks, snowblower, front lift with tow boom and 54" snowplow, and a nice drawbar when the cultivator isnt on it.

·
That Guy
1,159 Posts
Hey Lance, I see that you advocate ATV tires, and live in a place that sees a lot of winter. So, with that said, could you tell me how they perform on ice?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
alot better than most people would expect, I even clear the dugout so the kids can go skating so you dont get anything more ICY than that.. sure you can spin a tire... but you can also easily avoid spinning them if you use some common sense. Ive been using atv tires for 7 or 8 years now and tried several brands... cheaper tires are harder and dont work quite aswell as the more expensive and softer ones but they all work reasonably well... so far my fav have been the Kenda Bearclaws but just a couple weeks ago put the Carlisle Badlands radials on the Columbia so I wont know what they are like until next winter... and these are the first radials for me

Im a farm boy so Ive owned countless tractors, big and small, for over forty years now and Ive used chains on Alot of them, and many with fluid filled tires... once I tried the first atv tires on a garden tractor that was the end of all that bull&%@(

41 - 60 of 104 Posts