My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the briggs on my MTD 990 doesnt wanna spark, the coil is good. just in case i have another. heres where im at now. the points and condensor all look good, no signs of moisture. the connections inside the points box are good. on both coils theres a total of 3 wires. the plug wire, an insulated wire and two very small non insulated wires which are connected together. (i guess that makes 4..) anywho im guessing the non insulated wire is the ground, correct? i should just attatch it to the block. then the insulated wire from the coil connects to the wire from the points box on the side of the block. i tried other combinations but this one makes the most sense to me. i held the two insulated wires together with my fingers and turned over the engine, didnt even receive a shock; i understand that the amount of power comming from the points is small until it exits the coil through the plug wire correct? am i missing something? the points gap called for is 20 thousandths which is what the points are at right now. im thinking maybe the condensor has gone bad. any help would be great.

heres the engine I.D model: 326431 Type: 0139-01 Code: 741191

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
test the points with a test light then work backwards.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got any ideas where each wire on the coil goes to?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,104 Posts
"the points and condenser all look good,"

First, You can not tell by looking at a condenser if it is good, second, you need a special tester to test a condenser, test light will not do it.

My money is on condenser and I would replace the points at the same time - NAPA Auto Parts Store.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i dont know how to explaine it. really just the points wire and the ground go off the coil.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
"the points and condenser all look good,"

First, You can not tell by looking at a condenser if it is good, second, you need a special tester to test a condenser, test light will not do it.

My money is on condenser and I would replace the points at the same time - NAPA Auto Parts Store.

Walt Conner
it will tell you if the points and wiring are ok though.:fing32:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts