My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've got a '73 jd 112 that I adjusted the variator on ( lever in 5th position, loosen the front cap screw, turn over the engine to raise pedal, tighten cap screw). Now the variator is working correctly in 1st position, but the clutch pedal goes all the way down, and at its highest is 5 3/4" off the footrest. In the manual I have (from '69) it says to adjust the clutch override until i get 3/4" of clearance off the footrest, and a max height of about 7", but I don't see a clutch override. I looked up the part to make sure of what I was looking for, and all I have is two flat steel pieces for a linkage where the override should be unless i'm mistaken? I can get it to shift if I hold a little pressure on the shifter and then let the pedal out about an inch, then it will pop into gear, but occaisionally that grinds a little bit, so im looking for suggestions on how to get it working right. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll try to attach some photos of what i'm looking at. As a side issue, the brake pedal (on this model the brake is on the right and the clutch is on the left) is reluctant to come back up, and I can't seem to locate a spring that returns it to position, where should this spring be? If anyone has a diagram of the brake and variator assemblies for this model, that would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,364 Posts
Here is the JD online parts catalog, I have it set where the 112 shows in the result, you will need to select the proper one by the serial number on your machine:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the JD online parts catalog, I have it set where the 112 shows in the result, you will need to select the proper one by the serial number on your machine:

THanks for the link, I didn't see that you could search for the model on the JD site, that is very helpful! The assembly that I am seeing is consistent with the parts schematic, so it seems this model doesn't have the clutch override. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to do about a clutch that doesn't seem to fully disengage?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
35,364 Posts
THanks for the link, I didn't see that you could search for the model on the JD site, that is very helpful! The assembly that I am seeing is consistent with the parts schematic, so it seems this model doesn't have the clutch override. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to do about a clutch that doesn't seem to fully disengage?
Thanks!
Are any of your pulleys rusted, if so when you engage the clutch instead of slipping around the pulley they will have some friction due to the rust and keep spinning. This will normally wear off pretty quick but if it's really bad you may need to use some emery cloth to clean the pulley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a bit of surface rust from sitting over the winter. I will polish that up and see if it makes a difference. I checked the variator sheave and it seems pretty well polished and to be moving freely on the shaft without wobble, but I hadn't thought to polish up the pulleys. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts