My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a replacement deck for my 6255 commercial bricktop mower because it has suffered a large crack at the chute opening that I hope to get repaired one day. Meanwhile I will use this replacement from an early 7260.

It is however a bit different in that the earliest 7260 aluminum deck had a pocket with a factory steel cover plate. I was wondering if anyone has ever had an early 7260 or a related model which used this deck that know what that pocket was used for. It has a notch cut out in one corner. I though maybe some sort of self propel or electric start usage for the pocket but in all the parts drawings it only shows a pocket and a cover for the pocket.

I know there were other models that used an electric motor, and 600 series engines, and 400 series engines. The 7260 used 3 different decks over a period of more than 10 years. This deck was the first used and then after a few years an exact same deck WITHOUT the pocket. (One I would have preferred if I could have found it). Then after a few years they moved on to a deck with a pointed front on the deck that has built in adjuster notches like you see on most of the later Lawn Boy mowers.

The reason I settled for this deck is that it is Aluminum, not Magnesium, and as you will see in the pics there is VERY LITTLE pitting of the deck and the paint is in great condition. I would say the mower was used very little for its age and I would have loved to know its history. The seller has many decks listed on Ebay but this was the only one of this style made of aluminum. I felt it worth 100.00 shipped because of its overall condition. I will paint the deck but wont be stripping it down. I feel I can prime and touch and put a coat or two and salvage the deck decal too. There is just enough room next to the "pocket" to drill out a hole for the tank mount. Another reason I feel this mower had been seldom used is the adjuster slot at the rear has virtually no wear from the adjuster lever for the rear wheels.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,885 Posts
Yes that pocket was for use with the top belt drive models. The cutout would provide clearance for the lower pulley.

Just researched and learned that the 7260 ran through 1977 and that would explain the aluminum instead of mag for the deck, so that one must be the "G" model?

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only says 7260. If you go to the master viewer and read the details on each model it shows the pics of the decks as they progress from this one, to the one without the pocket, and then the later model with the molded in adjuster stops. There were many different letter at the end. All I know for sure it that this has no magnesium markings on it.

Serial number on the tag is 5754537 I have forgotten how to tell what year it is.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,885 Posts
The serial number would indicate that yours is a 1975 model (first number being a “5”) .

In the FWIW category, I think that your data plate was swapped. That is for sure a SP deck so model number would start with an “8”. No biggie! I think you did good getting an aluminum deck. I think the data plate is from a 1970 model, the only year for the 7260 without a letter suffix. The serial numbers were not real reliable to indicate year of production.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is entirely possible. Thanks

·
5,408 Posts
That deck is a great find FordTech! The good and the bad about Lawnboy's of the early era is that so many of them had parts that could interchange so 40 or 50 years later who knows what engines or decks were swapped out. Heck my 1975 "5024" originally came to me with an earlier deck with the single rear adjuster and an earlier D400 engine with the extended crank. As long as it works that is the important thing, keeping them going. Looking forward to some additional pictures as you get it back together. Bill

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill I will be doing more as the summer heat winds down here. Still hitting 100+ here in the afternoons. Just too old to play in that heat. But Ill post updates as I get it done. Its a daily driver though so Im not going for by the book exact museum piece :)

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I had a 7260 with that same pocket. Mine had the cover riveted over the pocket as well. I'm assuming for that year they just used a universal deck, or else they were just using up surplus SP decks for regular non SP models. Who knows. Mine was magnesium. Great mower while I had it.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It will suffice for a stand in till the other one gets rewelded. It has to have holes drilled out to get the spacing right for the fuel tank but It will do for me. Ive been using this 6255 for the past 7 years now. Got used to the lightweight and quieter operation of the D engine and just completely stopped using all my Duraforce mowers. At 63 yrs old the lighter the better for me. I have to modify the deck anyway for the independent rear wheel adjusters. Ive got that part done, just waiting on some cooler weather and spare time to keep driving on.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heat is on, gotta get this done before the first mowing which will be in about a week or two for me. Finally got a few hours to work on it and got the deck painted, gathered new adjusters, new wheels and stripped down the old machine. Still got a lot of cleanup and repainting to do but its a start. I figure a good couple days work and Ill be ready to mow. It wont be a master piece but a good daily driver.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some arm twisting today (On Myself LOL) and got a lot done today. All I have left are the handle brackets and some touch up and she will be ready for another 5-10 years service! Meanwhile I will see if I can get the other deck welded back up once the Corny Virus goes away.
IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I dont know why it doubled every image, and when I go to edit it only shows one instance of each image. SHRUG!! Heck it tripled one!

·
5,408 Posts
Beautiful FordTech! That should be a real joy to put to use again. Bill

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! Its been a great lightweight mower for me for the past 7 years so I look forward to keep her going strong.

Ive spent the last hour and a half trying to find a packet of decals I have for the rear adjusters, LOL. It seems like I have stumbled across them dozens of times but now that I need them POOF I cant find them. They just number the stops for the adjusters since they arent marked on the deck.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,885 Posts
Awesome John! So clean! I can never keep mine that clean. Did you fill those extra holes where the capstan roller drive shaft would go? or did you get lucky and use those holes to mount the fuel tank? I used high-temp lab metal and then I had the deck powder coated, and so far so good. I have mowed a few seasons and the lab metal is holding up well. I do like the aluminum better than the mag for longevity, but the extra weight is noticeable for a pusher.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
That looks fantastic! Ready for several more decades of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks friends! Finally got the handle bar brackets and handle bar on and just to make sure I wouldnt fall in love with its like new smell, I mowed the lawn for the first time this year. She runs great!
View attachment 2451260 View attachment 2451260

1 - 20 of 21 Posts