My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with an easy way to R&R the 72" deck on a 24G? I was thinking about some ramps. An overhead crane would be perfect but I don't have the shop infrastructure to install one.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine hoist? Tried that....the outriggers get in the way

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Well, Gravely recommends blocking the wheels and driving over it. I haven't had a lot of luck with that on my 60". Instead I park in my garage (super-smooth floor) and slide it out sideways. Yours weighs at least another hundred pounds though.... When I lower the guage wheel weldment on my deck to the lowest position the anti-scalp rollers and the smooth guage wheels are fairly easy to slide sideways.

Edit: A block-and-tackle attached to the ceiling rafters would work fairly well to lift the front of the tractor up too. Then roll the deck under it.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Edit: A block-and-tackle attached to the ceiling rafters would work fairly well to lift the front of the tractor up too. Then roll the deck under it.
Maybe an electric winch mounted on the front of the tractor would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
No direct experience on this machine, but when I've dismounted similar decks, I've slid them out sideways. The trick I found that made things MUCH easier is to lower the far end of the deck onto a set of rollers. You can get these little three-wheeled triangular skates with metal frames at many hardware stores. I put one of these under the far side, then pull the deck through. It often is better if the tires are turned fully to one side, but you may need to do this after shifting the deck some distance.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
A 72" deck won't side out of the side, the casters will hit the tractor wheels.

On all of the other mower we just use some 2x4s and drive over the deck. I have not had the 72" deck off of the 24G yet but, will more that likely drive over it or I could use the hoist in front of the garage. I've seen small metal ramps made for other mowers that hook onto the deck (so they won't slide) I have thought about making a set.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Well, Gravely recommends blocking the wheels and driving over it. I haven't had a lot of luck with that on my 60". Instead I park in my garage (super-smooth floor) and slide it out sideways. Yours weighs at least another hundred pounds though.... When I lower the guage wheel weldment on my deck to the lowest position the anti-scalp rollers and the smooth guage wheels are fairly easy to slide sideways.

I've been using the Gravely-recommended technique with my 60" MMM but with a set of automotive wheel ramps to get the front wheels onto the belt guards. I then remove the ramps, shut the tractor down and tug it over carefully. The gauge wheels are blocked with 2x4's the entire time (all four). Has been working well for putting a deck on. To remove, I simply lift the front of the tractor up onto the belt guards and back it off slowly while in neutral.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more I think about it the more a front mounted winch and a A frame seems to be the ticket. Maybe I will make a super duper swing for the grand-kids that will double as an A frame.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Those extended wheel mounts on the 72" deck definitely stop you from sliding things out sideways, so I retract my earlier suggestion. My Granddad made a tripod (about 8ft tall, as I recall) and used that for lifting equipment. He used to tilt the convertible backwards and lift the 40" commercial deck up with it, so he never spilled a drop of oil when mounting or dismounting it or other heavy attachments by himself. A taller tripod and winch or other hoist should do a great job of picking up the front of the tractor. I really like the gantry posted by lt4xtreme, and I've thought of buying or making one for a while.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bolt a 2x4 block to the floor and drop my 50" deck in front of it. The block holds the deck in place so I can easilly back over it without the deck sliding on the floor. I used to just pick up the front of the tractor and lift it onto the spindle covers and push it over while in neutral. My recent back problems now require a solution that doesn't involve lifting.

For mounting the deck, I just slide it behind the 2x4 block and then drive over it. After the deck is mounted/dismounted the block is unbolted from the floor and put away until next time. Once you have it predrilled and the mounting holes/anchors in your floor, it only takes about two minutes to install or remove the 2x4 block. Of course some people may not want to drill their concrete garage floor and install anchors. For me it was a no brainer since I'm working in a large shed with a wooden floor. Even if I had a nice garage I think I would strongly consider this technique. It's quick, inexpensive and works very well. Not sure if it would work with a 60" or 70" deck, but I don't see why not.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I bolt a 2x4 block to the floor and drop my 50" deck in front of it. The block holds the deck in place so I can easilly back over it without the deck sliding on the floor. I used to just pick up the front of the tractor and lift it onto the spindle covers and push it over while in neutral. My recent back problems now require a solution that doesn't involve lifting.

For mounting the deck, I just slide it behind the 2x4 block and then drive over it. After the deck is mounted/dismounted the block is unbolted from the floor and put away until next time. Once you have it predrilled and the mounting holes/anchors in your floor, it only takes about two minutes to install or remove the 2x4 block. Of course some people may not want to drill their concrete garage floor and install anchors. For me it was a no brainer since I'm working in a large shed with a wooden floor. Even if I had a nice garage I think I would strongly consider this technique. It's quick, inexpensive and works very well. Not sure if it would work with a 60" or 70" deck, but I don't see why not.
That's a great idea for the bigger decks, as the wheels at all four corners make the deck want to scoot all over the place when you try to roll the tractor over them. :fing32:

I stand by my assertion that once you get to a 60" deck, you are basically attaching the tractor to the deck and not the other way around.

:sorry1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts