My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 2011 X500 with a blower and rear blade but I've always wanted an X728. Finally there are two low hour 2012 units within easy distance of where I live. I'm considering selling the X500 and all attachments and going with the X728 and a front blade. I have a driveway that is nearly 60 feet wide and 60 feet long so even the 44 inch blower takes a while (45-75 minutes) to clean it up. I know the standard front blade is 60 inches wide but they used to make a 72 inch wide version. I have plenty of space to put the snow so that's not a concern. But I can't find a 72 inch front blade on the JD website. Does anyone know if JD still offers 72 inch front blades for X7 machines?

Here's a few videos of the X500 in action this winter. [There are also motorcycle ride videos through South Dakota and Wyoming on the same channel if you need some summer sunshine to wash away your winter blues.]

one

two

three

·
Premium Member
6,815 Posts
I’m thinking, The 54 is the “standard “ blade. The 60” is over priced from Deere. I have a #54 blade with wings making it 72” wide I use on my X595 and love it, another company makes a nice 66” blade that is a direct fit to Deere’s quick hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
717 Posts
I added the extensions also. Originally on my 425 and now on the 455. They both did great pushing it moving snow. I think it would be too wide for dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
54" on my x738.

I understand there are extensions that can be added.
I take it spots a wider one wouldn't work. (including my preferred parking location during winter)

I don't use chains or weights and find it to be a good match traction wise with the awd 738.

Hydraulic lift and angle makes it easy to get a lot done in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I added the extensions also. Originally on my 425 and now on the 455. They both did great pushing it moving snow. I think it would be too wide for dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I take the extensions off for playing in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
9,875 Posts
I have the CTA blade mentioned above. They sell them in 54, 60, 66 and 72" widths. They are very well built, a different animal from the Deere blades. I have the 66". Connects to the quick hitch in exactly the same way as the Deere blades.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy cow those CTA blades are heavy!

IIRC, the X728 is not a drive over deck system - correct? That is a feature of the X738 only?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2011 X748 with the 54 blade and two 9" extensions. It is a night and day better plowing experience for me, as the tire tracks are covered at full angle. I have a circle drive and that's a wanted benefit for me. I have run into very heavy wet snow/sleet accumulation that I have had to chip away at instead of taking a full blade width. But that's rare and only a problem in the worst of conditions, and I could take the couple of minutes to remove the extensions in those conditions I suppose. It's also nice backing up in the swath just plowed with the extra width. I highly recommend the extensions, and you are going to absolutely love AWD on the 728.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a 2011 X748 with the 54 blade and two 9" extensions. It is a night and day better plowing experience for me, as the tire tracks are covered at full angle. I have a circle drive and that's a wanted benefit for me. I have run into very heavy wet snow/sleet accumulation that I have had to chip away at instead of taking a full blade width. But that's rare and only a problem in the worst of conditions, and I could take the couple of minutes to remove the extensions in those conditions I suppose. It's also nice backing up in the swath just plowed with the extra width. I highly recommend the extensions, and you are going to absolutely love AWD on the 728. View attachment 2492261 View attachment 2492262
View attachment 2492265
I just installed those same extensions on mine this weekend. After that went out and spent about 2 hours cleaning up the 12"+ of snow we have gotten in the last week in preparation for the warmer temps this week. I plowed quite a bit including pushing back the banks a foot or two along each side of our road (about 1/4 mile) and clearing out the cul de sac/turn around in the middle of our street that had not been touched and now was heavy wet snow. My machine is a 425 with loaded 26" ATV tires, 50 lb. wheel weights, and about 180 lbs. of suitcase weights. It had no problem pushing the banks of snow back and overall I was really happy with it....wished I would have bought these years ago!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm a snowblower guy... I have a gravel driveway; so I also have a blade, that I use for the first couple of snowfalls, before the ground is frozen. (And it's also a useful backup if the drive chain on your blower breaks! :rolleyes:) My theory is, that with the blade I push the gravel to the edge of the grass, rather than throwing it into the middle of the yard with the blower. After the the first couple of snowfalls I switch to the (47") blower. The problem I have with a blade is that, over the course of the winter, the area you can clear with a blade becomes smaller. I drive a semi for a local bakery. Their preferred snow removal company uses a Bobcat with a snow pusher and, even though that Bobcat has FAR more lift than our tractors do, the amount of usable parking lot shrinks DRASTICALLY over the course of a winter!

I realize that the 47" blower is an expensive implement - I upgraded from a 2013 x540 (with the 47" blower and a 48" blade) to a 2013 x748 (with the 47" blower and 54" blade) three years ago - and I still think it's the better investment! There is night and day difference with swapping implements on an x7xx and x5xx tractors - a few minutes v. a LOT of minutes (and plenty of cussing)! EVERYTHING on the x7 is hydraulic. The x7 will give you ground penetration (or float with the terrain), where the x5 will JUST float with the terrain - very useful when the snow pack builds up around your mailbox! My recommendation would be BOTH!

And I have to ask, after watching your videos, WHY are you not running up and down your driveway?
To my eye, you're clearing your driveway as if you WERE using a blade! My driveway isn't as long, or as wide, as yours is. But my neighbors are elderly, and we share a horseshoe shaped driveway, so I clear both of our yards, his gravel parking pad, and about 500' of highway shoulder (it keeps the postal inspector off our A$$), and it takes me 60 to 120 minutes (depending on how much snow we get) to clear it with my 47" blower...

By all means, upgrade to the x738!
Given my experience with these JD tractors, if I was in your shoes, I'd buy the x738 with a blower, rather than the blade...
Regardless, enjoy! :)

·
blinged out
1,376 Posts
I can see why you don't like the blower in 1,2 it only works when your going forward! your spending more time backing up! your clearing 3600 sq/ft. in an hr. on average! I have the same machine and it takes me 20 mins. to clean 12000sq.ft.
vid. three looks like your getting it figured out.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Never seen a blower that only worked in one direction. That is why these tractors have steering wheels and the blower a rotor schute.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with the comments above about running out of room to pile snow with blades. I'm lucky to have plenty of room for snow as there is plenty of room along the drives in our neighborhood to push the snow back and pile it up. If we get any significant amount of snow I will push it back at least a blade's width from the edge of the drive, and will push the piles at the end of the drive back 10' or more. At least with a garden tractor I can run on the grass without rutting it up like a fullsize truck or bigger piece of equipment, and the blade with the poly cutting edge doesn't gouge the grass much.
Back when I was in high school I worked for a construction company in the summers and they also plowed snow in the winter using mostly construction equipment (backhoes, loaders, skid steers, etc...). They would contract with many shopping centers or other business's with big parking lots and were a little more expensive than some other places that just had a few pickups with plows. One year a big shopping center decided to go with the place that just had pickups because they were cheaper.......well, about halfway through winter they realized the pickups could only pile the snow so high and couldn't reach out over the sides of the parking lot place the snow. Because of that they lost half the parking spaces and all the entrance, exits, and drives were down to one lane. They called begging the original company to come in with the the loaders and clean everything up. Needless to say the shopping center wound up spending a lot more money in the long run by trying to go cheap.

·
blinged out
1,376 Posts
I agree with the comments above about running out of room to pile snow with blades. I'm lucky to have plenty of room for snow as there is plenty of room along the drives in our neighborhood to push the snow back and pile it up. If we get any significant amount of snow I will push it back at least a blade's width from the edge of the drive, and will push the piles at the end of the drive back 10' or more. At least with a garden tractor I can run on the grass without rutting it up like a fullsize truck or bigger piece of equipment, and the blade with the poly cutting edge doesn't gouge the grass much.
Back when I was in high school I worked for a construction company in the summers and they also plowed snow in the winter using mostly construction equipment (backhoes, loaders, skid steers, etc...). They would contract with many shopping centers or other business's with big parking lots and were a little more expensive than some other places that just had a few pickups with plows. One year a big shopping center decided to go with the place that just had pickups because they were cheaper.......well, about halfway through winter they realized the pickups could only pile the snow so high and couldn't reach out over the sides of the parking lot place the snow. Because of that they lost half the parking spaces and all the entrance, exits, and drives were down to one lane. They called begging the original company to come in with the the loaders and clean everything up. Needless to say the shopping center wound up spending a lot more money in the long run by trying to go cheap.
when plowing was part of my seasonal work customers had to sign the contract for seasonal or per time charge, always making the wrong decision based on the previous years snowfall! We used pickups / michigan loaders in tandem for the 50 acre truck yards! pickups windrowed the snow and then the michigans loaded the dumps for removal was the quickest way possible.truck yards never close and the shunt trucks are like bees! We farmed out the loader work at shopping malls because our territory covered 25 miles and driving a michigan across town in a snow storm wouldn't be a good idea unless you liked collecting dinky toys in the bucket!

·
Registered
574 Posts
hi - On my x595; I have both a 72 in V-plow and a 72 in snow-pusher that i fabricated out of an old UTV plow blade. I much prefer the pusher-box to the plow. it's faster cleaning the driveway.. My driveway is 18 ft wide and 600ft long. I also do 4 other large driveways on my street. If you have a loader - i would also look into the snow pusher in a 60" or 72" width. Guessing you are looking at around $1,000 for any of the options anyway??

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts