My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remedy my slipping PTO clutch so I can actually use the tractor this week, but I'm having difficulty getting the thing off.

I removed the nut that holds the assembly on the shaft, but simply can't get it off. I realize there's a keyway, so in theory it should slide off, but that's not happening. The thing sat for a few years, so I guess it's possible it siezed. Any harm in tapping it off with a hammer? I don't want to mess up the gearbox, though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do you have a 3 jaw puller? If not, spray around the cone clutch cover with Pblaster or orther penetrating oil and allow it to work in for a short period of time. A brass faced hammer or rubber dead blow hammer is the safest tool if you are going to pound on it, but if not, tap lightly with a regular hammer in a circular motion around the perimeter of the cone clutch cover. Don't beat on it too hard. Once it begins to move off the shaft, if it feels like it is still tight, you can pound it back in a little and then back out a few times to try and work the rust or gunk loose.

It can be done if you are careful. Do not hammer on the pulleys themselves as they break quite easity when hit with a hammer. Don't ask me how I know. :banghead3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I tried with a dowel and rubber mallet with no luck. That was after soaking it with penetrating oil. Guess I'll keep at it.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
I tried pblaster but didn't wait more than three hours before I went to the three jaw puller. It came off with little effort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got the bugger off. The suggestion about the three-claw puller worked, although begrudgingly. No amount of hitting with hammers was going to do the trick. The clutch was solidly corroded to the shaft and it took quite a bit of torque to get the puller to work.

I picked up a new clutch at the local shop today. When you look at the picture (the old one's on the left, obviously) it's amazing how the pulley scored the clutch housing and how little clutch material is left on the edges. My father in law must have been running it with the pulleys engaging the rough flat end of the housing. Well, the rough portion wore off and the pulleys made some nice grooves!

Anyway, she works now. Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm sure as I keep using her and things pop up I'll be on here. Can't wait to take it on the inaugural cutting this afternoon!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts