My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
World's Slowest Restorer
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took it out of the garage on friday, and noticed an unpleasant surprise, there was some oil around the base of the engine, and i noticed it did a number on my paint job. it has pretty much eaten away at the paint on the frame. what i want to know is if there is any way i can fix the destroyed paint and protect it from happening again. it was custom mixed water based tremclad, and it would be hard to match, so i want to know it i can put some sort of coating over it to stop the effects of any oil or grease from doing it again.

any suggestions?

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Bessy,

Sorry, I don’t think anything you do to prevent waterborne based paints from lifting will stop it from happening again.

Waterborne based paints (and primers) are great for low levels of VOC’s and toxicity but it’s a trade off when exposed to heat and the effects of petro-chemical solvents (gasoline-oil-methanol). To my knowledge, there isn’t a compatable waterborne clear that will encapsulate and prevent chemical reaction…and lifting. The two most highly chemical resistant products are either acrylic urethane or poly-urethane (paints, clears and primers). Once the substrate is prepaired properly and the primer, paint and clear is applied…they are greatly resistant to ’etching’, chipping and lifting.

The trade off, however, is that urethanes are highly toxic, expensive and personal protective equipment (PPE) must be used. It would be nice IF a paint manufacturer actually designed a product like clear urethane to topcoat waterborne bases, but I’ve yet to find one that works.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts