My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have chewed through 2 starter bendix gears in about 3 days. why is this happening. the starter is brand new?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,076 Posts
I am sure others may know WHAT ENGINE you are talking about but I sure don't and IF I knew, I might be able to help.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
773 Posts
The first 2 things I would check is that the ring gear on the flywheel is in good shape and not all burred up. Next I would check carefully the alignment and engagement of the starter. It may need to be shimmed in or out a little. It might be binding up and not allowing the starter to fully retract once it is started.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the engine is a briggs 16 hp horizontal drive. engine number 326437 - 0252. the flywheel is in good shape. you are right in that the starter does not fully retract.

i did some investigating last night and i wonder if i have the right starter. it seems as though there are two, one being slightly shorter .

i need to confirm that i have the right unit before i start asking questions about shimming.
Can anyone tell me the briggs part number for the starter.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Here are the specs for starter for your engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one or two more starts and the 3rd bendix will be worn out AGAIN? please someone tell me what is wrong?? :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,076 Posts
OK, I have not had one of those engines with a bendix type starter. What kind of ring gear is on the flywheel? What is it made of, aluminum, steel, cast iron?

I have a hunch that it is steel or cast and you are using a plastic (nylon) starter gear.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
walt, the old one was clearly not nylon, however i left it with the starter guy to order me a new one and we both decided i did not need it back. the pinion is nylon. i have no idea what the flywheel is made of, how do i tell? are you certain that the 16 tooth gear is correct. i have also seen some 14 teeth gears?

while i am getting attention , the engine runs great for a while and after about 20 minutes it starts to bog down and then i have to choke it to stay running and then after that the engine starts to fade quickly and eventually quits. let it rest for 30 minutes and same thing. before i spend 160 on a new carb is there a good carb cleaner?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can anyone tell me what the flywheel is made of on the 16 hp briggs that came on the 7016H ? how many teeth are supposed to be on the starter bendix? the starter has gone through 3 nylon pinions. the flywheel appears to be in good shape and the starter is on straight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help so far. can anyone tell me the starter gear tooth count as well as the material of the flywheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
7016 belt allignment

the engine is cast. so i will replace with metal pinion gear.

also where should the mower belt be located on the PTO clutch?

whatis the best carb cleaner ?

thanks
DA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts