My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright she cut the grass finally today, with still some issues. all belt and drive train running fine. my trouble is that it seems to lack power when everything is engaged. the motor bogs down in grass that is NOT that tall. has good gas, no tank filter, new lines, gas goes to the carb fine. then there are times when you push the choke in and it runs fine, for a while. inevitably, it bogs down. the carb has cleaned, i did put a little gasket sealer where the 2 parts come together. i did a good job, i thought, my one concern is that the sealant got alittle messy and maybe restricted either gas or air?? the bowl is clean but heavily pitted.

also when it is running with everything on and it starts to bog down i will try and mess with the "thingy" on the carb and it seems to die faster cuts off and wont restart for a few minutes??

with me at 250# and everything engaged on the tractor, is that too much for the tractor 16hp to handle?? grass is thick but not tall.

are my problems in the carb? governor? throttle cable? how do i fix this.

with the grass catcher on it really makes the yard look clean, it will be a great thing once she is dialed in. thanks alot for the help so far. this forum is the best ever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mower cleaned up beautifully this evening, looks like a putting green out front. after 15 minutes it starts to act up and i have to start messing with the choke to get it going.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Make sure there is no mouse nest in the engine shroud, make sure the gas cap vent hole is OK. How about the gas filter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new cap, no filter right now, clean gas tank, new lines. not sure about nest but it has gotten hot enough i would have smelled something.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oldtown,

It sounds like you have the very issue that made me sell my 7016.

If yours is a Briggs 16HP single cylinder then here is what I an tell you... I believe the root problem is the ignition system. I tried all the simple things like you have, and then got fed up and sold the thing to my dad who loves Sovereigns and had the resources to troubleshoot further. He did just about everything, including sending the flywheel back to Briggs to be remagnetized. If I remember correctly, the problem finally stopped when he changed over from the old points based ignition to an electronic ignition. I'll talk to him this weekend and see if he remembers the order of what was replaced, but I'm pretty sure that in the end the new electronic ignition did the trick.

Don't be discouraged though, this problem CAN be fixed and after it finally was, my Dad raves about how "my" (as in me, not him) tractor is running fantastic. I guess that means I'll get it back some day. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome thanks for the info. it is that exact engine. i was thinking of replacing the carb. if i do this and put in a new coil will all my mower troubles be gone ?

also i would like to get more power out of the engine is there an DIY solution.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the the same engine in my old 7016H...well, had. I replaced it with a 16 twin cylinder for the same reasons you described. I'll watch this thread with interest since the single is still in the barn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts