My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring I was planing on getting another of my Simplicity tractors running. I have a 7012 with Hydro and Kohler single that I bought a couple years back at a couple hundred bucks. Over the winter, I discovered the old carb was packed full of junk and gunk so I put on a new after market carb. The old fuel line was running directly to the carb bypassing the old fuel pump. So I thought I'r replace the fuel pump with a new aftermarket and added a fuel filter. Last weekend, she started right and after a some tinkering with the carb settings, up and I was able to drag a large water-filled lawn roller around the yard for a couple hours. No problems at all. I shut the tractor down with still a half tank of gas. Yesterday, I started up the tractor - started right up but it started spraying fluid at a pretty high pressure directly out of what I think might be a breather on the case behind the carb. The fluid looked like a combination of oil and gas. What I'm thinking is that gas leaked past the fuel pump and directly in to the crankcase filling it up with a couple more quarts of fluid. Once the crank pressurized it blew out what I'm hoping is a breather. I hope I've learned a lesson with this. I just put on a shutoff on the line just before the fuel pump. I hope this solves the problem. Anybody else ever have this happen to them?? Other question is - would the carb get enough fuel by gravity flow if I just ran a line directly from the tank and bypassed the fuel pump?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ran the tractor most of the summer and each time when I finished I'd shut off the fuel supply and ran the carb dry. Never had another issue with the gas leaking in to the crankcase. Oil still looks fresh and clear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts