My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to pull the engine out of my 7010 to replace the coil and when I reinstalled it I made a mistake. On the generator there is two posts. The Field and the Armature. Well... I hooked both the brown and black wires up to the field post successfully cooking my generator to the point that it would boil spit on the housing. After looking at the service manual I have re-affirmed that I screwed up and that the black wire was supposed to go to the field terminal by itself and the brown wire was to go the primary terminal that the heavy guage starting wire from the starter solonoid goes to. This is correct right?

SO im already into this for a new generator, i know that. Is there a chance I damaged anything else?

And where is the best place to get a new generator?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are lucky. 10 years ago your options were limited. Delco stopped making that starter/Generator setup in the 70's, and stopped supporting it in the 80's. there is an asian company making aftermarket s/g's now. Try starter generator on eBay and you will find them, or a lot of electric motor shops carry them now. You have the wiring right now. You may have damaged the voltage regulator. It is mounted under the dash behind the battery. I dont know of any way to test it without a working s/g

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd find a shop that rebuilds automotive alternators and starters. They might be able to repair it. Chances are they can repair it if they been in buisness for a number of years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I checked ebay and Im not finding anything that matches or shows replaces the part number on the generator. Finding ALOT of them that look very much the same, but the numbers they say they replace are not the same. Very close actually, but not the same. Do you happen to know what voltage regulator I would need if this one was bad? Or how I go about checking to see if its bad once I do source a new generator?

This **** tractor will be the end of me!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You wont match the number, there are a lot that are functionally the same. if the distance between the mounting tabs match, and it's clockwise rotation it will work.

Here is a used one on eBay from a worthwhile parts source for old garden tractors: Joes Outdoor Power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allis-Chalmers-...Generator-/370417249347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

You can email him with your tractor information and he will confirm it will fit.

Wells Implement had OEM regulators in stock recently. Simplicity part # 122193

http://wellsimplement.com/

Once you replace the S/G, if it charges the regulator is OK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts