My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ought to be a no brainer but I'm stuck and need your help.

I put the 7-iron deck on the other day in hopes of doing some grass cutting. I had the deck stored up on 2-wheels as many have via this forum.

7-iron.wheels-01.JPG

Today I started mowing and noticed something that seemed out of whack to me. The 4 mower wheels seem to be going in every which direction. I got the manual out and it says this:

7-iron-wheels-manual.JPG

they all need to face forward and then you "lock" them in place by lowering the quick release pin. I tried that but the release pins don't end up in the holes along the shaft of the wheel. They sort of stay in place but not really when I am mowing. If I lock the quick release pin into a hole on the shaft, here is what they end up looking like. Sequence is: Left front, left rear, right front, right rear.

7-iron-left-front-wheel.JPG 7-iron-left-rear-wheel.JPG 7-iron-right-front-wheel.JPG 7-iron-right-rear-wheel.JPG

As you can see, none of them are really straight to the mower. Picture #2 - the left rear is really out of whack. Now I do need to say that when I put the wheels back on after being off during storage, I did not pay attention to if there was a "left" wheel or a "right" wheel. Maybe there is. The front wheels never came off so this is how they were when delivered. The right front wheel is close but the left front is not close to being straight.

Seems to me this out to be simple but I'm stuck. If I set the wheel straight and lower the quick release pin, they don't stay straight while mowing. Once they start to hit the ground for whatever reason, they start to move around.

Are your wheels pointed straight ahead? If they are, are your locking pins actually sitting in a hole in the wheel shaft?

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
That's just a simple case of having the wheels/shafts on the wrong corners; take them all out and do a little juggling act until all of them line up and are pointed straight forward so they roll properly. :fing32:

·
Tinkerer
89 Posts
Next year when you pull them out use big zip ties to hold them to the corners on top of the deck correspondent to the corners they came from to avoid confusion on which one goes where.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
I have a non-7-Iron deck but figured out that each of the wheels have their own assigned spots.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I stored my 7 Iron upright over the winter, too, but the oil in the gear case ran out, had to delay my mowing while I ran out to get more gear oil. Checked the manual and it says not to store in an vertical position, but it looks like if you pull off the gear case, it should be fine doing so. Did you pull the gear case before storing the deck?

Paul

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hummer- you just have the wheels on the wrong corners of your deck. Maybe engrave a number corresponding to the side of the deck on the tops of the wheel posts so you can easily place them in their correct orientation next time. Did the same thing when i was messing with mine too.

Speaking of gear cases, how does one check the fluid in the gear case. I read the manual and it simply says to check the fluid but not exactly how to do it or how to fill it up. Mentioned the drain plug located on the right side of the case but I assumed if I unscrew the plug the fluid would drain out. Are you supposed to remove the gear case from the deck, place it on its side and then remove the plug to check the level and/or fill them?

·
5,919 Posts
Speaking of gear cases, how does one check the fluid in the gear case. I read the manual and it simply says to check the fluid but not exactly how to do it or how to fill it up. Mentioned the drain plug located on the right side of the case but I assumed if I unscrew the plug the fluid would drain out. Are you supposed to remove the gear case from the deck, place it on its side and then remove the plug to check the level and/or fill them?
To drain the oil, remove the allen plug in the side and tip the deck (or take the gearbox off and turn it so it drains). Fill it through the same hole in the side while the deck/gearbox is sitting on a level surface as it would while under the tractor; the fluid level should be at the bottom of the fill hole.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for the answering my question DP. Am planning on checking my gear case fluid this weekend. If low, what fluid do you guys recommend adding?

·
5,919 Posts
Thanks for the answering my question DP. Am planning on checking my gear case fluid this weekend. If low, what fluid do you guys recommend adding?
If it's low, add 80-90. If you're going to change it, which isn't a bad idea (since it doesn't hold much), I prefer 75-140.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I'll have to mark them (using the ideas given here) so they go on the right place.

I stored my 7 Iron upright over the winter, too, but the oil in the gear case ran out, had to delay my mowing while I ran out to get more gear oil. Checked the manual and it says not to store in an vertical position, but it looks like if you pull off the gear case, it should be fine doing so. Did you pull the gear case before storing the deck?

Paul
I checked several times during the winter and did not have any leaks. I didn't pull the gear case before storing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts