My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this Squire Applegate mower which I have had for years. I repowered it 10 years ago with an NOS Briggs 3.5 MAXX engine that had the PTO for the self drive. BUT that blew up a couple years ago because I was hill mowing and oil starved it..

I want to add a Predator 5.5hp but the shaft is 7/8".. does a blade adapter exist that will bolt up to a 19" blade? To add to this, the shaft length needs to be about 4" to be right.
I used washers and longer bolts before to make up the 3" shaft to 4" for the last engine, but the adapter is 3/4" and that original blade is whopped.. This is a double deck design, where the engine is mounted to an upper deck, there is a gap between it and the lower deck, where the blade gets a very tight clearence to the snail shaped deck.. This deck will discharge grass evenly over a very far distance

This adapter seems to possibly work if I cut it down. It is for a 19" MTD. It stands 2.85" tall, so on top of the 3.2" crank it would be about 6" if I didn't have it cut and welded..
This adapter is for a 19" push MTD and it might just be enough to make up the 4" required shaft length.. Either of these adapters would let me use 19" MTD blades

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I think that you are overthinking this. Blade adapters fit onto the engine shaft and then the blades attach to the adapter. You said that the power drive is toast so the adapter you get doesn't need the sheave for the belt that powers the drive. About the only thing you need is a long enough blade adapter. 19 inch blades come in all sorts of hole patterns.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but the engine to blade face needs to be about 4" because of the double deck arrangement.. The 3.5HP MAXX is about 1" short using the original adapter ( for a 3/4" shaft ) and I built it up with washers

I was thinking the adapter with the pulley because it is longer than a non self drive. however spotted this adapter. and it looks by a user submitted picture that it is 2" long but it's going to set in about 1" so would be perfect

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The one you just referred to likely wouldn't work as it requires the engine shaft to be threaded to accept the bolt. Sure, you could weld it on, but you would still have to have something for the bolt to attach itself to for holding the blade.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just bought one of these engines, a 25mm extended blade adapter ( 2.15" ) and a 19" blade. It should work

The electric start w/ a charging circuit also gives the option of using a 12v power wheels motor to run the PTO for the self propel.. It only charges at .5A but a U1 battery would hold up to my limited use which is a slight bank, and around a ton of bushes

I do need to find the electric start wiring harness to rig up electric start. I know it is a Toro branded engine without the decal

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the mower. you can see how the double deck arrangement works.. I have a concern that the motor cavity may not be large enough but I suspect it probably is. The motor measures 14" long according to SEW, and this cavity is about 12".. But the fuel tank hangs off the back of the motor by 2" or so it looks, and it would have clearance..

Kind of seems crazy to put 6.75 ft/lbs into a 19" blade but at $70 I couldn't say no.. It would mow anything with 3.5hp. I cant imagine having 6.0ish. It just needs some new paint while it's torn down.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have the new engine, and the block is the same 11" long that the original is.. The motor has no throttle where my original one does, but I'll just rig it up so that the throttle actuates the blade brake/ kill switch

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the motor I used before had a 2" shaft after penetrating oil finally got the adapter off.. So the new is 3 5/32" and that measurement is exact what is needed for the mower. I spaced the blade out 3/4" the last time to make it work. I ordered an extended length adapter so that will have to go back and a standard MTD adapter will have to get ordered

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scratch the MTD adapter.. I ordered 2, one I thought might be too long, and one might be too short.. One came as a 7/8" and the other was 24.6mm ID and wouldn't fit either.

I went through the 2013 Toro catalog to find a Toro recycler that used this specific engine and ordered the blade adapter for it, and a 20" blade that will work with the adapter... This adapter has a drive pulley on it which got me thinking.. With a simple belt twist, it can power the original self drive pulley. I just need to rig up a tensioner

The original drive pulley ran off the camshaft PTO at 1,800 RPM at a 1:1 ratio. I think the new pulley is 2" and the pulley on the small sprocket drive ( pulley drives a small sprocket, larger sprocket on actual drive axle ) is 3", so it will run 2,400 RPM. Not sure what the 600 RPM is really going to do but it was never very fast when it worked

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it running. Had to rig the blade brake up and need a stiffer return spring to overcome the brake spring so that it's normally open ( brake off, ignition on )... The bunjee cord will work for now

Doubling the hp, along with the Toro lawnboy mulching blade turned this into a monster. It mowed 4"-6" grass that I left growing for this mowers test. I never even heard the tone change suggesting the throttle blades did not open much at all. I put synthetic oil in it, and it fired on 1 pull

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts