My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I found a good deal on a PTO generator locally through Kijiji so I bought it.
It is a Baumalight 7.2kw made by the same people that make Wallenstein equipment. I got it to use for backup. I've wanted a decent generator that would power my well pump for a long time.
The person I bought it from has a nice Yanmar tractor, 33hp, the biggest Yanmar I have seen. He works the oil rigs and his wife dosen't like to use the tractor for backup power when he is away on 3wk. shifts. He bought a diesel genset and the PTO generator was just taking up space so he put it for sale 750$ with the PTO shaft. It has been used probably less than 10 hrs. I had it hooked up tonight and it seems to work well, although I only had a 1500w load to test it with. I need to get a transfer switch setup so I can use it safely.
Here is a picture. You can't see it in the picture because of the I match but the trailer tongue has a holder that supports the tractor end of the shaft when it is disconnected. It is a pretty nice setup. Plain but solidly built. The generator and gearbox are made in Italy and they are assembled in Canada.

Cheers
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
very setup Brian and you got a fair price too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Folks

Thanks for the link Paul. I have seen that before and it is a really good overview of all the issues with PTO generators.
I have a Kilawatt, which is a small meter that plugs into a standard AC receptacle and gives you readings on voltage, current, frequency, power, VA's, power factor, kilowatt hrs. and elapsed time. It is meant to monitor power consumption for energy efficiency but it is really handy for setting up a generator. You can plug it into an extension cord and then it will tell you the voltage and frequency and you can adjust the tractor speed. It has a plug on it so you can monitor the device you plug in. I used a portable heater to test the generator and I could see that the voltage and frequency remained pretty constant with a 1500w load. No guesswork on the frequency when you use this. I was getting 60hz at just under 2900 rpm. The Kilawatt is only about 40$ and well worth it in my opinion.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
JDBrian

Nice unit and price. That should serve you well. :fing32:

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
JDBrian, that is one sweet looking generator! They come in so handy.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JDBrian, that is one sweet looking generator! They come in so handy.:thThumbsU
We live a few miles off the main road and sometimes loose our power for days after a major storm. It is a complete PITA to be without water for that length of time. This should run our pump without breaking a sweat.

cheers
Brian

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I had intended to buy a generator almost identical through Northern, but after our 100hp farm tractor went down due to radiator failure, I decided to get a Honda powered genset instead. I was afraid without fail-safe systems on my Massey 1010 that I may burn it up too. Kinda wish I'd gotten the pto unit anyway. Yours looks like a nice setup, and for a great price to boot! Just keep a keen eye on your tractor & all will be good. With our farm tractor on the gen, it's kinda hard to keep a close eye on things while milking 100 cows. Plus the radiator was only about 40yrs old.
BTW...rated at 7200 watts....what's the surge rating on your unit? No matter, 7200 is plenty power to do anything around a home. It'll run an electric clothes dryer as well.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Nice find and priced right! :congrats:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW...rated at 7200 watts....what's the surge rating on your unit? No matter, 7200 is plenty power to do anything around a home. It'll run an electric clothes dryer as well.[/QUOTE]

Hi OCH

7.2kw is plenty for us. Well pump draws a large surge to start but only 1kw to run. HW heater is 3kw. We have a solar HW system if the sun is out and wood for heat. Being without water is our biggest challenge during a power outage.
Surge rating is 14kw. It is a 2 pole so runs at 3600. It is also spec'ed for a 10% overload for 2hrs out of 24. I have been considering modifying the generator so that I can turn down the rpm's on the tractor. At 60hz I am currently running 2900rpms. The tractor is rated at 18pto hp at 3000. I figure it will still put out about 15 at 2400 due to the flat torque curve of the diesel. I am thinking of using chain drive to reduce the engine rpms to 2400 which would run quieter, use less fuel and reduce wear on the engine. It may not be worth the trouble and expense, as this is only going to be used for backup.
I have ordered a service manual for the tractor and plan on tapping in to the engine warning light to provide a means of shutting down the tractor if it overheats. The tractor dosen't have a temp gauge, only an idiot light. If I can do this it will give me some piece of mind when running the generator for longer periods of time unattended. The other thing I need to do is build a proper PTO shaft shield so that the shaft is completely covered.

Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Does your John shut down with just the key? My MF1010 has manual lever to kill engine, so no way to easily add a safety system to mine. With key shutoff via solenoid run/kill, it would be easy enough to do as you describe for safety. Low oil sender could go to ground side of an "on/off solenoid" to disconnect line to the tractor's run solenoid and would kill if low oil comes into play. To use the temp sender it would have to be in series with the oil safety, then either/or would kill engine. You would have to have a momentary switch that bypasses this system to allow for starting.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi OCH

Thanks for the tips on this. On the 2320 a key controls the engine. Not sure exactly how that works until I get the service manual. In it's simplest form the tractor would run until the hot light came on and then the shutdown circuit would duplicate what the ignition switch does when you turn it off. It is bound to get more complicated than that but I haven't had much time to think about it.
How do you like the 1010. There is one for sale here locally with 3500hrs on it. The engine has been redone but that still seems like a lot of hrs. He wants 5500(Can$) with a mower deck and 7500 with a snow blower and tiller.

Brian

·
Registered
443 Posts
I wouldn't put too much effort into reworking your set to reduce the "PTO" RPM. The generator/tractor will have better frequency/voltage regulation and more current capacity at 2900 than it will at 2400 engine RPM, meaning it will start your well pump a lot easier. And you can bet that the designers of your JD put lots of thought into exactly what engine speed for "PTO" RPM was best.

BTW, your tractor has to supply about 2 HP/KW of demand, so your actual "surge" rating is in the area of 9KW at 2900 RPM.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I love my 1010 and the belly deck cuts awesome. I have no other attachments though. Mine had 865hrs on it when I bought it off ebay for $2275 US, which I consider a steal. Paint is faded bad, but tractor is in super mechanical condition. I did have to rebuild the deck spindles & buy new 224" deck belt. $100 for belt & bearings, so not bad at all! I don't know the money exchange rates, but sounds a bit high, but if new looking & a complete rebuild, may be worth it. After all, what's an equal new tractor cost! I wish mine was hydro though, as 2nd/hi is the only gear for mowing & could easily handle a faster gear, but 3rd/hi is way too fast. Hydro would give infinite control.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi OCH

I thought it sounded like a lot for a tractor with that many hours. Right now the Can$ is about .90 US so you would be looking at 5K. The tractor is very faded , must be common for these.

Cheers
Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts